Chapter 26~ The Birthday Dinner

Frankie clutched onto Ezra's arm when they walked into the large estate that was passed down from his grandfather to his father. His father would live here sometimes because it was closer to the company. It's much larger that the place Ezra's mom and sisters live in.

Ezra looked down at her and smiled, kissing her forehead for comfort. They looked so good together, and his father noticed that as he sipped his 3rd glass of whiskey that evening.

 They looked so good together, and his father noticed that as he sipped his 3rd glass of whiskey that evening

Ezra's dad, Kevin Grant, was different from his family. His life was based around work and gaining success. Everything he's done in his life has been driven through ambition and self interest. He was a business man- he did everything to make himself be well liked by others so he could get ahead. He married his wife of 20 years so he could show how he is a "serious" man- a family man who believes in traditional values. He married Maranda because she fit the ideal beauty standards, with the blonde hair and blue eyes and the slim frame. When they first started dating, he encouraged her to keep her hair straight at important events but he liked when she had her natural golden wavy tresses. He did love her, but he loved power and desire for success more.

When she gave birth to Ezra on his birthday, his focus shifted. He was starstruck by this mini-me, seeing him running around as he copied him so much and strived to follow his father everywhere. Ezra became his best friend before he started school. He sometimes brought the brown haired, blue eyed toddler to his meetings in his little tailored suit to match his father's.

Now they were complete strangers.

Ever since he met Frankie, his perception changed. His son started bringing the little brown girl around the house and he saw the way he looked at her. It made him think about his years, never having a love so innocent, so genuine. He didn't solely marry Maranda for love, but because she looked good on his arm. He never had that and no matter how much he tried...he envied his son for finding such love.

Maranda started focusing more on the twins when they were born and they looked so much like her, but had his brown eyes. They were so sweet, so cute...but he distanced himself from them, knowing how they weren't made from true love, just a heated moment. When he would look at Maranda, guilt tugged at his heart at the sad eyes she had when she looked at him.

Jace was a result of a drunken night after work a few years ago. He has barely seen him. According to Ezra, he looked just like Kevin.

He couldn't go home. So he stayed here at the estate, where expensive whiskey was the only thing to keep him company.

He hated it. His son looked so happy when he was with her. The only person in this world that he felt a genuine bonding to was stolen by the chocolate vixen tucked under his arm. She clutched onto him as if he might slip from her slim fingertips. Those brown orbs were hypnotic enough to put his son under her bewitching spell.

He tried once to get rid of her, but his son's unyielding love for her brought her back. Kevin just was more pissed off at that. His mini-me turned out to be the complete opposite of him- letting love drive him through this world. And Kevin will never know that feeling...