Chapter 18~ Daddy's Home

It's summertime, and right now, I'm in the car with Jackie and Jamie in a bathing suit and a white dress because Jackie was dying to go to the beach. Jamie was still rocking her locs and she bleached the ends more so her hair had an ombré effect. She also wore a two piece bikini set that was burgundy and had black designs on it. Jackie had the same think except that there was mint beneath the black designs.

My hair was in the usual puff it was in and had on a neon pink bathing suit that hugged my curves and it contrasted with my skin nicely. It was too bad Ezra wasn't here, because he was at his friend's house to sort out the problems that were going on. Although, there hasn't been many. It's weird, ever since Ezra told me what's going on, I've been on edge whenever he's not around; I'd look over my shoulder sometimes to see if I was being watched.

But nothing's happened.

"Ugh, mom wants us to come back for sunscreen," Jamie said, looking up from her phone.

"Sorry Frankie, our house is right around the corner, so do you mind?" Jackie asked.

"No! Of course not, we have all day to go to the beach," I say nonchalantly, as I wonder what their mom looked liked anyway.

"Besides, you get to meet her!" Added Jackie, making me laugh.

We pulled up to a cosy house that had a blue and brown wood exterior, with a large wrap around patio. On the patio, a woman sat with long jet black hair in a messy bun, and large brown eyes that lit up when Jackie pilled into their driveway. Jamie and Jackie unbuckled their seatbelt and got out the car, walking over to the woman who was barley an inch taller than them. After a while, Jackie turned, realizing I was still in the car before rolling her eyes and walking back, opening my door and grabbing my hand. She lead me to the woman who looked to be in her 30s, as she looked at me with a kind smile.

"You must be Frankie," she said in a kind Spanish accent. The twins dad has to be darker because when I first saw them, they definitely had enough African features to make me think they were. "My daughter's have told me so much about you, I'm Ms. Lydia." She smiled, before embracing me in a warm hug.

"Hello, Ms. Lydia, It's nice to meet you." I greet her.

"Well, I won't keep you girls long, it's a long ride to the beach. It was nice meeting you as well, Frankie."

Once we left, I couldn't keep my question at bay.

"So, you are you two black?" I watched them look back at me with their similar dark brown eyes, before looking at each other knowingly and chuckling. Jackie had to stop the car so she would swerve off the road, it was so funny. Their ugly snorts filled the car and I couldn't help but snicker at them until ten minutes later, when Jamie was wiping her eyes.

"Yeah, but we're still from Argentina. Our dad is Afro-Argentinian."

Once we arrived at the beach, and I ran across the beach and into the water while the twins had to put on their sunscreen. I was ready for this beach trip and I made sure I was okay before we even left the house. I haven't to the beach in what, a few months? But still, I don't go that much and I love it. I love the wind that brings in the strong and soothing waves and the fresh air. I love the feel of soft beige sand on my feet and between my toes. And every now and then, I'd find an area of sea turtle nests, which were protected.

After about five minutes, I heard the twins screaming and I turn to see them tripping over one another to get to the water. I laugh at them and once they finally got in I smiled when Jackie started to go crazy. "Jamie! I'm for real, I just stepped on a fucking crab!"

***

We stayed at the beach for a good three hours, and I was probably a shade darker by the time I got home. I waved the twins goodbye and walked inside the house, where I was surprised to see a very tall light skinned man hugging my mother as she.... kissed him. The were close to doing the deed until I cleared my throat... twice.