CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT | BLUE BUTTERFLIES

THE REBELLION HAD SAT FOR WHAT FELT LIKE HOURS, EVERY PERSON BOWING THEIR HEADS, THE MEMORY OF CARON RACING THROUGH THEIR MINDS

THE REBELLION HAD SAT FOR WHAT FELT LIKE HOURS, EVERY PERSON BOWING THEIR HEADS, THE MEMORY OF CARON RACING THROUGH THEIR MINDS. James still clutched her hand, though it had now turned ice cold.

"She has to be buried," Aerona whispered, finally. "We have to return her to the earth – to the witches. She belongs there."

"No," James croaked. "No. She belonged here, with us. She belonged on that thrown with a crown atop her head. This wasn't how it was supposed to be – we were supposed to have changed the prophecy."

"It's not that simple," Aerona said, wiping a tear from her eye. "Fate new what she was doing and she knew we would have to survive without her."

"How can I?" James hands shook but he still did not release his grip on Caron. "She has been my light and soul. She has been my everything and now you want me to let her go? To let her sink into an oblivion?"

"Yes," Aerona pleaded. "Because that is what she would have wanted. It's what all the witches want in...in the end. And we have to honour that."

"I can't," James said, his throat aching as his voice died. "She's...she's everything."

"I know," Aerona said. "I know." She leant over Caron, putting her bloodied hands around James' body. Behind her palms, he shook violently, tears flowing freely down his face.

She was gone. She was gone and there was nothing he could do about it. Her once smiling face was sweaty with hair stuck to her forehead. Her bright eyes were closed to the world, a reminder of her eternal sleep. Her skin was cold as ice, something he hadn't noticed until Aerona's warm figure had enveloped his own.

She was gone, she was gone, she was gone.

And she couldn't come back. And she couldn't be Queen and she couldn't sit on the throne. She would never know the weight of her own crown.

And god, Aerona. She would be hurting just as much as him. Another half that she had only just found so soon lost to the spirits of the world.

And they were expected to bury her. To let her power go back into the earth, for the witches to put their faith in someone else. For them to take over.

No.

No, they wouldn't get what they wanted. If Caron was expendable to them, then he would fight them forever. And he would destroy the world just to have her back.

"We can't bury her," he choked. "We can't let the witches win."

"The witches aren't the ones we're fighting," Aerona whispered. "they're not the ones we should be-"

"Enough!" A gust of air exploded around them, sending soldiers flying through the air at James' shout. But Aerona stayed still, her hair moving slightly in the wind. "They took her from me." James' voice was barely more than a whisper, a dark threat against the chilling atmosphere. "They're going to pay for it all. I'll make them pay."