CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN | POWER AND DESIRE

AERONA HAD NO BREATH LEFT IN HER AS SHE AND HER COMPANIONS CLIMBED UP THE MOUNTAIN

AERONA HAD NO BREATH LEFT IN HER AS SHE AND HER COMPANIONS CLIMBED UP THE MOUNTAIN. Leon lead the charge ahead and seemed quite sure of himself. He pushed branches out of his way and trudged onwards deeper into the forest.

Luckily, Leon had spent a lot of time in the mountain ranges and had become familiar with the surrounding area. He was well aware of a cave shrouded by shrubs that prevented anyone from simply stumbling upon it.

James was still cautious around the pair, unsure of whether they could truly be trusted. Helping someone escape prison doesn't make you a good person. He had no idea who these people were or what Abaddon wanted. For all he knew, this was all an elaborate plan to keep him away from Caron.

But what if it wasn't? What if these people really did want to help him? He had no idea what he was supposed to do. Was he supposed to follow? Or was he supposed to run?

When they made it to the cave, James collapsed in a heap, taking deep breaths. Aerona stood directly next to him, staring into the depths of the cavern.

"I've never been this far from home," she whispered. "I have no idea what this world looks like. I have to say, there's a lot more life than I imagined. Even though my visions showed me things like this...I just thought they were somewhere else. Not this close to my own bedroom."

James looked up at her, his eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "How could he keep you locked up?"

She shook her head, looking down sadly. "I'm my father's greatest weapon, you see. What happens when you expose your greatest weapon?"

"People come after it."

"And what do you do when that weapon is your only daughter?"

"I wouldn't let the world see her at all." He held his hand up to Aerona who grabbed it. He squeezed her hand softly before getting back to his feet.

"You're special too, y'know. Even though you've spent your whole life thinking you're ordinary, you're not."

"What are you talking about?" James asked, cracking a grin for the first time in days. "I'm just normal. Perfectly average at every single task available to man."

"That's just because you haven't found yourself. You can't say you can't do something when you haven't tried it."

As the two talked, Leon busied himself with forming some sort of bedding for the three of them to sleep on. Even while he was working, he stilled listened closely to the conversation at the mouth of the tunnel. A monster writhed in the pit of his stomach as he thought of the two of them. Talking. Touching. It all made him sick.

"When you were younger, you thought objects could move on their own," Aerona begin, breaking her eye contact with James. "You just brushed it off as something normal."