CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT | DARKNESS

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR AERONA AND JAMES TO GET OUT OF THE CASTLE

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR AERONA AND JAMES TO GET OUT OF THE CASTLE. After the boy had changed, Aerona dragged him away from their hiding spot and sprinted through the open castle door. Luckily, none of the guards happened to be walking past.

Aerona already knew that, however.

She'd watched the guard's nightly circles ever since she was a little girl, having nothing better to do than look out the window. Over the years, she knew their schedule off by heart and was fully aware that they wouldn't be back here for a while.

Her footsteps were as light as possible as she crept across the floors of the castle, careful not to be spotted. Although she knew full well where every single guard was positioned at that time, there was always a possibility that a kitchen staff was out late or her father wanted a quick stroll. In this day and age, you couldn't take any chances. If you did anything out of the ordinary, there was a high possibility that you could be sent to be hung.

Aerona had never thought of her father as a bad person. She was always well looked after and he always made sure to spend time with her. Though, must of that time was spent locked in the tallest tower, making predictions that always came true.

Until recently, Aerona didn't understand why people hated her father. But now, she did.

She tugged at James' arm once a guard turned round a corner, pulling him up onto his feet and sprinting towards the tall, open doors opposite the pair.

Once they were hidden by the tall trees of the nearby forest, Aerona collapsed onto the ground, dirtying her favourite white dress. Next to her, James was on his back, taking short rapid breaths in an attempt to breathe normally again.

"That wasn't so hard," Aerona muttered, clutching her chest. A small smile graced James' lips at her words. His legs ached and he tried to sit up but ended up falling beside his companion yet again.

"Do you do this sort of thing often?" he asked, turning his head so they were face to face.

"To tell you the truth," she began, "I've never left the castle before. My father thought it would be too dangerous for me or something so, I stayed hidden in the tower all my life. I think this is my chance to start over. To live in a slightly different way."

James eyebrows furrowed. Was that all this was to her? Just a game? An adventure? The next step until she was ready to go home?

He was going to be trapped for the rest of his life, never able to stay in one place. Especially after his escape. Abaddon would hunt him forever until one of the pair dropped dead.

He could never be saved.

"This is the real deal, yeah?" His voice was slightly hoarse as he held back tears. Her soft eyes stared at him, not really understanding. "We're leaving. We're getting out of here and running away and never coming back."