CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | CHANGES

CARON'S TEETH SCRAPED HER BOTTOM LIP AS THE GROUP MARCHED TOWARDS THEIR DESTINY

CARON'S TEETH SCRAPED HER BOTTOM LIP AS THE GROUP MARCHED TOWARDS THEIR DESTINY. Well, really they were marching towards a small town at the bottom of the mountain.

It was a long walk down in the early hours of the morning. In truth, no one within the group really knew what to expect in the depths below. A golden light streamed onto the buildings, small ponds glistening as the sunlight reached it.

From behind her, Caron could hear the whispers between Alaw and Piper. "This isn't safe," the older girl was saying, "we could get seriously hurt."

"We could get seriously hurt from being near these people," Piper hissed. "And this is my brother we're talking about. I'm not leaving him. Ever again."

"I'm worried about you, my love."

"Well stop being worried. I have survived much worse than this and I will survive much more."

Survive. Survive. It was a word that had been going through Caron's head all night ever since the admittance of a prophecy about her existed. Though she would hide her fear in front of her friends, the anxiety controlled her deep down. What if everything they worked for today was for nothing?

What if they fought the fight and it cost them Caron's life?

Was it worth it to overrun a tyrant? The questions had been running through Caron's mind all night, keeping her up through the early hours of the morning. Nonetheless, she couldn't let her friends down. She had to fight and she had to be strong.

James walked silently beside her, his mind nowhere near hers. He had no idea the danger was in other than the prospect of fighting a war. But James didn't believe any of them would soon be dead – let alone his oldest friend. In his mind, they were unbreakable, a team of ragtag heroes who would rid the land of evil.

"Are you afraid?" Caron asked, not turning to look towards James.

"A little," he admitted. "What about you?"

"Of course," Caron replied, a small, hollow laugh escaping her lips. "We're facing something we've never faced before. And we're just kids still, aren't we?"

"I think we're a long way from running through fields." She caught his eye, a small smile spreading across his face. This was what Caron missed most. The moments when it was just them and nothing else matters. The moments when they could laugh and it didn't mean giving away their position.

"But we'll never be old enough to stop doing magic tricks."

"Speaking of magic tricks," James began, stopping in front of Caron, "I have something to show you."

He picked up a pebble from the ground, holding it out to Caron in his palm. Closing his eyes and concentrating hard, James pushed all of his energy into the small stone. Slowly, it began to lift higher and higher, shaking slightly as it rose up, up, up.