CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE | THE BAKER AND THE PAINTER

"ALAW? BUT...YOU DIED?" Caron stared in disbelief at the girl in front of her. Once she knew the name of the woman, it seemed so obvious who she was. All the memories started flooding back instantly. But still, it couldn't be true.

"Yeah, that didn't last very long, did it?" she replied, turning and walking into the house. Caron and her mother followed, the younger of the two bringing up the rear. "Meredith, here, faked my death a while back. We thought it would be better in the long run."

"In the long run? What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means, there's things you don't know about yet. When we're ready for you to find out, you will," Meredith snapped.

Caron pouted slightly, annoyed that she couldn't get any information about the issue – though, it was only an issue in her own head.

"I'll bet you're both tired from your journey. Come sit down and rest. In the morning, we can make our way to the castle. Though, we'll have to make a pitstop first." Alaw sent Caron a smile before continuing. "There's someone I think you'd like to see."

#

As she tried to sleep that night, Caron tossed and turned. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't force herself to dream about anything other than a dark cell – which she suspected James was currently in.

Her mother laid comfortably on the couch beside her while the young girl was resting on the floor. It was cold and uncomfortable, but no one seemed to worry about her cosiness. It was more important that the two best friends were well rested and were full of food before they were sent to bed.

Of course, Caron would never say anything about it. After all, it wasn't like she once dated Alaw. It wasn't like that at all.

A bright light shone through the curtains, streaming across the girls exhausted face. Her mother sat up smoothly, stretching her arms out as she yawned. "What a wonderful sleep. How was your night, dear?"

Caron's blood boiled as she knew how fake and insincere the smile on Meredith's face was. She knew her mother too well to think it true. "Lovely. The floor was just exquisite."

Alaw walked in at that moment, already dressed and ready for the adventure ahead of the trio. "Morning all. Ready for breakfast?"

The mother and daughter nodded curtly, prompting Alaw to walk into the kitchen and start cooking the food for all of them. It didn't take long for the scent of bacon and eggs to fill the room, wafting towards Caron. She sniffed the air hungrily. Her stomach growled loudly as the plate was placed in front of her.

Eagerly, she grabbed a knife a fork, ready to consume the delicious items. But before the food reached her mouth, she noticed her mother's plate.

It was much larger than her own, piled high with food upon food upon food. Caron was surprised the old woman could eat that much.