Being Heard

I paused open the doors to Pulitzer's office, a smirk on my face. Pulitzer and his assistants turned to face us as I brushed past a man, Jack, Davey, and Spot right behind me.

"Morning gents." I said as I slammed a paper down onto the large oak desk, right in front of Pulitzer himself. "How ya doin, this mornin'?"

"You're behind this?" The owner of the World said angrily. He turned to face Jack. "We has a deal!"

Jack shrugged as he dug the stack of cash from his pocket. "And it came with a money-back guarantee." My brother tossed the money into the desk. "Oh, and thank you for the lesson on the power of the press."

"Did you read this, boss?" One of Pulitzer's assistances said. "These kids put out a pretty good paper! Very convincing."

"No doubt written by that reporter from the Sun." The big man said bitterly. "Bryan Denton I believe his name is." We nodded and he continued. "I demand to know who defied my ban on printing strike-related material."

I shrugged, placing a hand on my heart, acting offended. "We're your loyal employees. Wes would never take our business elsewhere." I plopped myself down into one of the large armchairs sitting across from Pulitzer's desk, throwing my legs over the arm and crossing them.

"That old printing press in the cellar..." The man next to Pulitzer said.

"I gave you the offer of a lifetime." Pulitzer said. "Anyone who does not act in his own self-interest is a fool."

Davey stepped forwards. "What does that make you?" The woman in the room gasped slightly. "This all began because you wanted to sell more papers. But now your circulation is down seventy percent. Why didn't you just come talk to us."

"Because guys like Joe don't talk to nobodies like us." Jack said, now sitting in the other armchair, similarly how I was. "But a very wise reporter once told me bein' a boss don't mean you got all the answers, just the smarts enough the snatch the right one when you hear it."

Just then, I could hear the soft singing of the Newsies down on the streets. "Now is the time to seize the day. Stare down the odds and seize the day. Minute by minute, that's how you win it. We will find a way. But let us seize the day." Hundreds of voices sang from the streets.

Spot pointed out the window, where Pulitzer was now standing. "Have a look out there, Mr. Pulitzer. In case you ain't figured it out, we gots you surrounded."

Jack, Davey and I walked over and joined the two beside the window. As I peered outside the glass, I saw hundred of kids staring up at the building, some holding strike signs.

A smirk came to my face as I turned back to Pulitzer. "New York is closed for business."

"Paralyzed." Jack added.

"You can't get a paper or a shoe shine. You can't send a message, ride an elevator, cross the Brooklyn Bridge. Hell, you can't even get out of your own building. So, what's your next more?"

Before the man could answer, a man burst I got he room, slightly out of breath. "Mr. Pulitzer, the mayor is here, along with that reporter Denton and...you'll never believe who else."

Just then, a small group of people entered the office; the mayor, Denton, Medda and the governor! He must have heard us after all.

"Good morning, Mr. Pulitzer. I think you know the governor."

"Governor Roosevelt!" Pulitzer exclaimed.

"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph...what have you done now?!" Roosevelt said, shaking his head like a disappointed father.

"Wait until you hear my explanation-"

"Thanks to Miss Medda for bringing this bright young man to my office," The governor said, gesturing to Denton. "I already have a thorough grasp on the situation, graphic illustrations included! 'Bully' is the expression I usually use to show approval, but in your case, I simply mean 'bully'." The man laughed at his own joke as he turned to face Jack and I. "And are these the children of whom you spoke?"

Denton nodded. "That they are, Mr. Governor."

Roosevelt held out his hand for me to shake, which I wasted no time doing. "I've seen all that you've done, young lady. This strike, the paper. I'm impressed."

"Thank you, sir." I said as he released my hand. I stared down at it in shock as he turned to face my brother.

"How are you doing, son?" Roosevelt asked as he shook Jack's hand, who was standing as straight as humanly possible with his chest puffed out slightly. "I was told we once shared a carriage ride."

"Pleasure's mine, Mr. Governor." Jack said. Roosevelt smiles slightly at him before releasing my brother's hand and turning to face Pulitzer. Jack held his hand up, facing Davey as he fumbled over his words.

"Well, come along, Joe." Roosevelt said to the newspaper owner. "Don't just stand there letting those kids sing...endlessly. Give them the good news!"

"What good news?" Pulitzer asked bitterly.

"That you've come to your senses and rolled back prices. Unless, of course, you want to invite a full-state investigation into your employment practices?"

"You wouldn't."

"After the pressure you wielded to keep me from office, I'd do it with a smile. Come along, Joesph. There is only one thing worse than a hard heart, and that's a soft head. Think of the happiness you'll bring those children." When Pulitzer Just scowled at the governor, Roosevelt turned to face the rest of us. "He doesn't do happiness, does he?"

I just shrugged as Pulitzer looked towards me and my brother. "Mr. and Ms. Kelly, if I may speak to you alone?"

Everyone started to file out of the office. Before Roosevelt left, he placed a hand on mine and Jack's shoulder. "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. You can do this." With that, he left, leaving the two of us and Pulitzer alone in the room.

"I cannot put the price back where it was." He said. "I'm sorry, I can't. There are other considerations."

Jack scoffed sofrly. "I get it, Joe. You use the same face in front of all these folks. I ain't stupid, but I'm constituent with a legitimate gripe!"

"What if I reduced the raise by half, and get the others to do the same? It's a compromise we can all live with."

"But," I started, causing both guys to turn to me. "You eat your losses. From now on, every pape we can't sell, you buy back full price."

"That's never been on the table! And what's the keep newsies from taking hundreds of papers they can't sell? My costs will explode."

"No newsie is gonna break his back carryin' around papes he can't sell, but if he can take a few extra and have no risk, he might sell those and then your circulation will begin to grow." Jack said confidently.

"It's a compromise we can all live with." I said, trying my best to impersonate Pulitzer.

"That's not a bad head you got on your shoulder." Joe said. "Both of you."

"Deal?" I said, spitting in my hand and sticking it out for Pulitzer to shake.

"That's disgusting." The man said.

"Well, that's just the price of doing business." Jack said, shrugging.

After a moment'a hesitation, Pulitzer reluctantly spit into his hand and clasped his hand with mine in a deal sealing shake.

Word Count: 1262

Guys, the next part is probably going to be the last. Time to go cry now 😢