What Per Hundred?!

I woke up to a pair of suspenders being snapped against my feet. Hollering, I bolted upright, pulling my legs into my chest. At the end of my bed, laughing their heads off, was my brother and Specs.

"Come on, Pockets." The boy with the rounded glasses said. "You're running behind."

Groaning, I rubbed my eyes, hoping to get the tiredness off of them. "Dose fire sirens kept me awake all night."

"Same 'ere." My brother said, a playful smile on his face. "You don't see me sleepin' in."

Rolling my eyes at my brother, I jumped off my bunk and started getting ready. After just a few minutes, I was completely ready for the day and headed outside with the rest of the newsies.

As all of the other boys left, I rubbed my eyes, staring my walk to towards the distribution center. A yawn passed through my lips as a hand was placed on my shoulder. I didn't even have to look to know who it was.

"Mornin' Racetrack." I mumbles, yawning again.

"Fire sirens?" He asked.

I nodded. Last night, I had probably gotten about two hours of sleep. Them sirens are loud.

Before I could say anything else, Race walked in front of me, stopping as he crouched down. "Up."

Smiling, I walked over and jumped onto his back, giggling softly. Race chuckled lightly, too, as he stood up straight and started walking again.

"Better?" He asked, his hands on my legs to keep me up as my arms were draped limply over his shoulders.

I nodded, humming in content; I was too tired and lazy to form actual words. Laying my head on his shoulder, I closed my eyes, hoping to get a little sleep before we got to work.

It felt like a few seconds later when I heard a voice ring out. "How was everyone's night?" Tommy Boy asked. I assumed we had reached the distribution center, but I didn't wanna get up. Race didn't seem to mind holding me either, seeing as he hasn't dropped me yet.

"Them fire sirens kept me awake all night." Race answered, him speaking causing a soft vibration to go throughout his body.

"Sirens is like lullabies to me." Mush spoke up. "The louder they wail, the better da headline. And the betta the headline, the better I eat. And the better I eat-"

"The further away from you I sleep." I cut in, still not having the energy to lift my head, though I opened my eyes and gave Mush a tired, yet teasing, smile. He rolled his eyes at me as a few of the newsies chuckled.

Looking around, I realized that we were already through the gates and the boys were sitting on around or leaning against the wagon. The Delanceys must have had an early start today; the gates are usually opened after the headline is put up.

"Mornin' everybody." Someone said. Looking over, I saw Davey approach through gates, his little brother Les right beside him. "Sorry we're late. We had to help our mom with somethin'."

"Told you." I whispered to Race, making sure only he would here.

The boy hummed softly, acknowledging he heard me, before turning to the brothers. "Oh, they got a mother!" Race said teasingly. "I was gonna get me one."

"Whatcha do with the one you had?" Romeo asked, genuine confusion and curiosity on his face.

I giggled softly. "Traded her." I told the boy, finally jumping off of Race's back.

"For a box of cigars." Buttons added.

Race got up into his face, a finger poking his chest. "They was Coronas."

"We got a father, too." Les added, not helping the situation any.

Buttons scoffed slightly. "Oh, a mother and a father."

"Well, ain't we the hoi polloi." Race said sarcastically, a few of the newsies laughing softly, including myself. Not many of the newsies had families, so they often joked about being orphans. It didn't bother most of the fellas, including myself. Well, most of the time, that is.

Les ignored Race's comment and turned towards the other newsies. "So, how's it goin' today?"

"Ask me after they put up the headline." Romeo told the little boy.

"Here it comes now!"

All the newsies turned and looked up at the giant chalk board as the workers scribbled down today's headline. When it was finally written, I felt my heart drop into my stomach.

"New Newsie Price: 60 Cents per Hundred." Albert read off the chalk board.

Word Count: 752