Santa Fe

It only took me a few minutes to get back to the lodging house. I stood outside for a few minutes, debating on whether or not to go inside, but decided against it and went up to the roof.

The sun had just gone down and the sky was dark, a few stars starting to appear. There was so much running through my head, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

Taking a deep breath, I walked over and leaned against the railing, looking out over the city. "So that's what they call a family." I sang softly. "Mother, Father, Daughter, Son. Guess that everything you heard about is true. So you ain't got any family. Well, who said you needed one. Ain't ya glad nobody's waiting up for you?"

"When I dream on my own, I'm alone, but I ain't lonely. For a dreamer, night's the only time of day. When the city's finally sleeping, all my thoughts begin to stray. And I'm on the train that's bound for Santa Fe."

"And I'm free, like the wind. Like I'm gonna live forever. It's a feeling Time can never take away. All I need's a few more dollars, and I'm outta here to stay. Dreams come true. Yes they do. In Santa Fe."

"Where does it say you gotta live and die here?" I sang, throwing my arms out to my sides. "Where does it say a girl can't catch a break? Why should you only take what you're given? Why should you spend your whole life livin' trapped where there ain't no future? Even at just fifteen? Breaking your back for someone else's sake. If the life don't seem to suit ya, how about a change of scene? Far from the lousy headlines and the deadlines in between."

I let my arms fall as I stared up at the night sky, the stars shining brightly in the dark. "Santa Fe, are you there? Do you swear you won't forget me? If I found you, you you let me come and stay? I ain't gettin any younger. And before my dying day, I want space, not just air. Let them laugh in my face, I don't care. Save a place. I'll be there."

I went silent for a while, breathing heavily. I closed my eyes for a few seconds before singing again, softly this time. "Open the gates and seize the day. Don't be afraid and don't delay. Nothing can break us. No one can make us give our rights away. Arise and seize the day."

The world around me went quiet as I took a few more deep breaths. Suddenly, a soft clapping was heard behind me. Turning quickly, I saw Race standing by the ladder, a slight smile on his face. "That was good, Tate." He said, letting his arms fall.

"What are you doing up here?" I asked, looking down, feeling a little embarrassed that he heard me.

I heard him approaching me. "I came lookin for ya. Ise was worried when you didn't come back right away. Figured I could find you up 'ere."

I looked up at him and saw he was only a foot or so away. I don't know why, but I felt my heart start to beat faster and the blood rush to my cheeks.

"Hey, whys are you cryin?" He asked as he stepped forwards, cupping my face in his hands, using his thumbs to wipe my cheeks.

"I didn't know I was." I said softly.

"Well, you're ok. Whatever it is you were crying about." He said, chuckling softly. I could help but smile back at him, laughing breathlessly.

I looked up at Racetrack and saw he was looking down at me. He looked into my eyes before I saw him glance down at my lips. The boy started leaning down and I didn't stop him. Instead, I pushed myself up into my tiptoes slightly.

Closing my eyes, I felt as his chapped lips met my own. He pulled me slightly closer, still gently cupping my face. After a few seconds, he pulled back. Opening my eyes, I was met with his bright blue ones and a big smile.

"Yous have no idea how long I've been wanting to do dat." He said, resting his forehead on mine.

I giggled softly. "Took you long enough."

The two of us were silent for a while before Race spoke up. "I really like you, Tate. Ise have for a while now, I think."

I smiled. "Me too, Racetrack. Me too."

Word Count: 763