The Newsboys

Race's eyes grew wide as I told him my name. His grip released on my hand as I let it fall back to my side. "Did y-...did yous say Kelly?!"

I nodded slowly, kind of unsure what was happening at the moment. "Yeah..."

"Woah." I heard him sigh as he placed his hands on top of his head, causing his cap to get slightly tilted back. A few of his curls sprang out from under the cap. "Yous are Kelly's sister."

The last sentence grabbed my attention very quickly. "You know my brother?!"

The new boy sighed and let his hand fall back to his sides. He titled his head slightly from side to side, as if pondering what to say next. Suddenly, he stepped forward and took my hand in his, dragging me out from our hiding spot and towards the mouth of the alley. "Come on." He mumbled.

"Where are we going?" I asked as Race stopped at the opening to the alley. He peeked out and looked both ways before heading out. He turned left and started leading me down the sidewalk, ignoring my question. "Hello?"

"What?" He asked spasticity, looking over at me. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was asking where we are going?"

Racetrack shrugged slightly and looked ahead, the corners of his mouth turning up into a cheeky smirk again. "You'll see." The boy used his free hand to reach into his pocket and pull out the cigar again, sticking it between his teeth. Only when he did this did I realize our hands were still clasped together. I felt as my cheeks heated up, most likely staining them a soft pink. If I was being honest with myself, I didn't mind holding hands with Race. I know I just met him, but there was something about him that made me feel...I don't know. Safe? Calm? Protected?

After a few minutes of walking, making a few turns along the way, Race stopped us in front of a two story building. It reminded me of a warehouse, but at the same time, it looked comforting and inviting. There was a sign near the front door that read 'Newsies Lodging House'.

Racetrack released my hand and removed the cigar from his mouth, turning to face me. "Welcomes." With that, he walked to the door and opened it slightly. He glanced at me and tilted his head inside, gesturing for me to follow him. I obliged and walked through the doorway. There was a small foyer that lead into the "lobby". There was a counter set up in front of the room, and across from it, next to the door, was a staircase that lead upstairs. Behind the desk was an older man, probably somewhere in his sixties, sitting on a stool reading a paper. He looked up when we entered and gave Race a big smile. "Ay, Anthony. The boys were worried about you."

Race returned the man's smile. "I'm fine, Mr. Kloppman. Just gots a little held up is all. Any packages for meh?"

"As a matter of fact, I do." The old man, Kloppman, said. He turned and scanned the cubbies hanging on the wall behind him. He found Race's and pulled out a small box. Even from here, I could tell they were cigars; I had stole quite of few boxes off fancy men thinking they were wallets.

Racetrack's face lit up and he chuckled lightly as he took the box the man was handing him. "Ohhh. Ha ha. Ol' Skipper finally came trough. Thanks Kloppman."

With that said, the newsboy started heading up the stairs with me behind him. "Who was that?" I asked.

"Who? Kloppman? He runs the joint. Kinda like our foster dad, if yous wanna think of it datta way. Good guy. Sleeps downstairs."

"In the lobby?"

Race laughed again. "Nah, half of the bottom floor is walled off into his own place; a little apartment for 'im."

We finally got to the top stairs and walked onto a small landing. It was a very short hallway that immediately opened up into a room. The room was a decent size, with a bunch of bunch beds lining the walls. In the back of the room, I was able to see a round table, a little closet, and a washroom. All around the room, boys were doing their own thing; a few were laying in the beds, others were counting money, while others were sitting on the floor playing a game of cards.

Racetrack shut the door, causing a few of the boys to turn their heads. "Ooo looky here." I heard someone say, though I wasn't able to tell who. "Race brought a goil home." A few others laughed at his comment and I felt a blush stain my cheeks.

One of the boys stood up from his place on the floor and dusted off his knees. "There you are, Race. The boys were worried you get nagged."

"Me? Nagged?" Race scoffed, holding a hand to his chest. "Never in a million years will those bozos be able to catch me."

The boy laughed and his gaze wondered over to me. His face changed from a look of relief to a look of confusion. "Didn't know we were having guests. Who's dis?" The boy looked at me, but spoke to Race.

"Oh, right." Racetrack stepped forwards slightly, raising his voice. "Fellas!" All heads in the room turned towards their friend, curious on what he wanted. "I want yous all to meet my new friend. Tatum, this is Specs, Mush, Kid Blink, Albert, Mike, Ike, Crutchie, Jojo, Tommy Boy, Smalls, Romeo, Hot Shot, Sniper, Buttons, Finch, and Elmer." Race said, pointing to each boy individually. When he was done, he put a hand on my shoulder, which gave me an odd sense of comfort. "Fellas, this is Tatum." He paused. "Tatum Kelly."

After he said that, the boys around the room started hollering questions at Race and giving him looks of confusion and surprise. I winced a little at the sudden actions, but tried my best to stay calm.

"Hey...hey...HEY!" Race said, hollering over the boys, causing them all to go quiet again. "All questions will get answers, but one things needs to happen foist." Racetrack turned towards one of the boys; Crutchie I believe his name was. "Where's J?"

Crutchie shrugged slightly. "Not a clue. He shoulda been back from sellin by now, but no one has-"

Just then, we heard the creaking of the stairs and we all turned. I felt my heart drops as someone whose brown hair instantly recognized. He was looking down at his open hand, counting the coins he had and he had a big smile on his face. "Sorry I'm late, fellas. I got caught up-" The boy stopped talking as soon as he saw me. His eyes went wide with shock and his smile fell. "Tate?" He asked softly.

I couldn't believe who was standing before me. After all this time, I was finally able to be with him again; with my family. "J-jack?"

Word Clarification:
Trough = through
Datta = that
Dis = this
Foist = first

Word Count: 1168