A Visitor

The next few days went by as normal; I woke up before the boys and got ready, I had to chase Race to the distribution center, and I sold papers with one of the other newsies (so far I've sold with Jack, Race, Albert, Specs, and Mush).

The boys and I were waiting outside the distribution center when Jack pat me on the shoulder. When I turned to look at him, he spoke to me. "From what Ise hearin, you've been doin good. You've been sellin all ya papes. So, Ise thought you could start sellin on your own."

A smile came to my face as Jack finished talking. "Really? You'll actually let me?"

He nodded before giving a small shrug. "Yeah, Ise don't see the harm in it. Yous can take care of yourself."

Not knowing what else to do, I wrapped my arms around my brother and hugged him tightly. He chuckled before hugging me back, resting his chin on the top of my head.

"Thank you for trusting me." I told him before pulling back from the hug.

We all talked for a few more minutes, some of the guys suggesting good seeking spots, before the gates opened. Jack led the way up the ramp before doing his usual teasing to Weasel.

The window opened and we all got our papes before heading out separate ways. I headed in the direction of Central Park, thinking I'll get a lot of business there. According to Mush, only a few other guys sell there, so there should be enough room for one more.

I was a few hours into selling when I heard a semi familiar voice. "Look at da goil newsies bein all independent."

Looking over, I saw the Brooklynite, Spot Conlon, leaning against a tree a little ways away. Sighing, I sold a paper to someone next to me before walking over to him.

"What can I do for you, Conlon?" I asked, stopping a few feet in front of him.

"Ise was just headin on over ta Queens when I saw youse. Ya looked kinda lonely, so Ise thought I'd say hi." He told me as if it was obvious.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not lonely; I'm selling. And I still have a lot to sell, so if you don't mind; I need to get back to work."

Turning to leave, I took a few steps before I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. Spot spun me around to face him. "Listen. It's not very often that Ise get curious. But you...you've sparked my curiosity, Kelly." He paused. "Use interested in gettin to know yous." Before I could reply, he turned and started to walk away.

"Why?" I shouted to him, hoping he could still hear me, seeing as he was now at least fifty feet away.

He turned around, a smile clear on his face. "Cause, like I said, youse interest me." With that said, the boy turned back around and left, leaving me alone.

Author's Note
Sorry this part was pretty short. I wanted to get something out before I go back to school tomorrow. Also, I wanted to progress more of Spot and Tate's relationship, cause it's going to play a pretty big part in the strike.