The Jacobs

Once we were all back at the lodging house, most people went to wash themselves up. Those who weren't bruised now definitely were going to be tomorrow. I would be surprised if anyone came out of that fight scratch free.

"I'm sorry, fellas." Davey spoke up. "I didn't mean for any of that to happen."

"It's a strike, Davey." I said, shrugging. "This kind of stuff happens. Besides, what good is a battle if you don't come out with a few scars."

Davey smiles slightly. He glanced over at the small clock on the wall before sighing. "We should probably be heading back home. Don't want to worry the folks."

"I can walk you back."

"That's not necessary."

I nodded. "Actually it is. The bulls are still after us. Any of us. Besides, if it came to an actual fight wit one of dem, no offense Davey, but you can't take on one of dem." The boy was about to protest, but decided against it. "Exactly. Let's go."

The walk to the Jacobs was a surprised short one. Before I knew it, we were standing on his front door mat.

"You should come inside." Les said, a happy smile on his face.

"Ise wouldn't wanna bother ya." I said.

"You wouldn't." Davey assured me. "Besides, my sister Sarah probably had something to help you with that cut."

Cut? I thought, confused. What cut?

Davey must have seen the confused look on my face. "Pretty nasty one on your forehead."

Reaching up, I felt my forehead. A sudden sting of pain radiated throughout my head and I pulled my fingers away to see a little bit of blood on them.-

Sighing, I let my hand fall and looked back up at Davey. "Ok, I'll come in. But only for a few minutes, then Ise have to get back to the fellas. Don't wants to worry them."

Davey smiles slightly before opening the door. Les skipped inside. I realized now he was clutching his arm; he probably injured in when the Delanceys were messing with him. The older boy ushered me inside. Looking around, I saw the apartment wasn't very big; the whole thing was probably the size of the lodging house's upstairs.

There was a girl sitting on the couch, reading. Her blonde hair flowed over her shoulders, curling slightly at the ends. I recognized her, but I didn't know from where.

Davey closed the door behind me, causing the girl to look up. She smiled when she saw her brothers, standing from the couch. "There you guys are. I was getting worried." She glanced down at her youngest brother, her smile turning to a look of worry. "What happened?"

"I was put in a barrel." Les said excitedly. "It was fun until I crashed. My arm got stuck between me and the wall."

The girl frowned slightly. "You poor thing. Go get the kit and I'll wrap it up for you." The little boy ran off and she turned towards me. She stepped forwards and examined my head. "Won't need stitches. Just needs to be cleaned."

David laughed slightly next to me. "Pockets, this is my sister Sarah. Sarah, this is Pockets. She is Jack's little sister."

"Oh, this is the infamous Pockets Kellys, leader of the Newsboys Strike." She said, giggling softly. "I've heard quite a bit about you from Jack and my brothers."

"From Jack?" I asked curiously. "He was here?"

Davey nodded. "Yeah. He came over after the show the other night."

"Oh. I didn't know that. To be fair, I haven't really talked to him that much. With the strike and all."

"I heard about that from the boys." Sarah said as Les returned with the med kit. She led us over tot he couch, sitting me and her younger brother on the couch. "Never heard them so passionate about anything else. Wait, is that what happened?"

I nodded as Sarah started wrapping up Les's arm, putting into a sling. "Yeah. We would've gotten 'em if Snyder didn't show up." I paused, sighing. "They crushed us."

"How is everyone else? All the other newsboys?"

"Beaten. Sore. Bruised and bloody." I looked over at her as she was cutting a piece of bandage, finishing up with Les. "I think Les 'ere got the worst of it, though."

"That's good. At least everyone else is at least standing."

The girl grabbed out a cloth and poured some sort of liquid on it before reaching up and tapping it lightly on my cut. It stung and burned, causing me to reel back, wincing.

"I'm sorry. I should've warned you. But I need to clean it, or it might get infected. That'll hurt even worse."

Sighing, I sat up again, letting Sarah clean the cut. After she was done, she covered it with some bandages and turned my head, trying to get a look at my bruise. While I couldn't see it, I knew it was probably huge and puffy, cause it hurt like hell.

"Just trying to not get punched again within the next few days and that should clear up pretty quickly."

"Sarah, Davey, who are you talking to out here?" Said a woman's voice. Turning my head, I saw an older woman with blonde hair like Sarah's coming from the hallway. She smiled when she saw me. "Who is this young lady?"

"Mother, this is Pockets." Davey introduced. "Jack's sister."

"You mean that young man that was here the other night?" When David nodded, she continued. "Well it is lovely to meet you, Pockets."

"You too, Mrs. Jacobs." I replied, giving her a kind smile. Standing from the couch, I wiped off my pants. "Ise better get going, though. The fellas will be worried abouts me."

"Please come back soon, dear." Mrs. Jacobs said.

I nodded and turned to the kids. "It was nice meeting you Sarah. I'll see you tomorrow at Jacobi's, boys." With that said, I opened the front door and left the apartment, closing it behind me.

Word Count: 1003