Seize the Day Pt. 1

The next day, all the Hattan newsies were gathered at the paper stand. Only the Manhattan newsies.

"Is anyone else coming" Davey asked, sighing.

"I got no clue." I told him sadly. The meeting with Spot didn't exactly go as planned; we had hoped to have Brooklyn standing behind us today.

Race suddenly appeared by my side. "You seen Spot Conlon, right? What'd he say?"

Jack spoke before I could. "Sure, we seen him."

"Him and about twenty of his gang." Davey said. "And them Brooklyn boys is big."

"And I gotta say, Spot was very impressed, wasn't he Tate?"

"I'd say." I mumbled.

"So," Race said hopefully. "they're with us?"

"Well, that all depends on how you look at it." David spoke up. "If you look and see Brooklyn, they're with us."

I groaned, my brain hurting trying to figure out what Davey just said. "Spot wants proof that we're not gonna fold at the foist sign of trouble."

"Are we?" Finch asked.

"No! Besides, who needs Brooklyn? We got us, Harlem-"

"Not so fast, boss." Mush interrupted, pushing his way to the front of the crowd and standing in front of me. "Harlem wants to know what Brooklyn's gonna do."

"What about Queens?"

Specs looked over to me. "Hey, Queens'll be Right here backing us up." The newsies started clapping lightly and getting excited before the newsies continued. "As soon as they get the nod from Brooklyn."

I groaned again and looked towards Race. Before I could speak, however, he shook his head. "I got the same fish eye in Midtown." He set a hand on my shoulder. "Sorry, Tate."

"Oh, hey Oscar." I heard Morris say front he other side of the circulation gate. Turning around, I saw the two brothers walking over to open the large iron doors. They opened the gates and all the newsies stepped into the center, glaring at the Delanceys. "Looks like it was bum information we got about a strike happening here today. Not that I'm complaining, my skull-busting arm could use a day of rest." With that said, the two of them walked away.

Les stepped forwards, walking the two brothers leave. "Are we doing the right thing?" He asked worriedly.

"Sure we are." Davey reassured him.

"Maybe we just put this off a couple days." Race said softly.

I looked at him like he was crazy while Davey spoke up. "No, we can't just put this off." None of the boys looked convinced, so the Jacob turned to Jack. "Say something. Tell them if we back off now, they'll never listen to us again."

Jack nodded and stepped forwards, tasing his voice for all the Hartman newsies to hear. "Hey, we can't back down now, alright? No matter who does or doesn't show. Like it or not, now is when we take a stand."

"Hows about we just not show up for work?" Finch asked, shrugging. "That'll send the message."

I shook my head. "They'll just replace us! They need to see us stand our ground! Davey, you tell 'em."

"I don't know what to say." Davey sighed. He hesitated a moment before he spoke up again. "Now is the time to seize the day. Stare down the odds and seize the day. Minute by minute; that's how you win it. We will find a way, but let us seize the day."

Word Count: 564