Bryan Denton

All the lower Manhattan newsies headed back to Jacobi's Deli, our usual hangout for when we got bored of the lodging house. To be fair though, Jacobi did give us free water. The o my thing he asked is that we were out before dinner rush.

"And here we go." The owner of the small restaurant said as he appeared out of the kitchen with a tray of waters. He started handing them out to the newsies who were scattered around the tables. "A glass of water for you, and one for you, and you. And now, who's the big spender that ordered the seltzer?"

A few of us immediately pointed over to Albert. "Over here!" The red haired boy called.

"And that'll be two cents." The man said as he walked over to where Albert was sitting. I could see that he had an 'extra' water sitting on his tray.

"To cents for a glass of seltzer? Just gimme a water."

Jacobi rolled his eyes slightly, handing Albert the water. "How did I ever see that coming?" With that, he disappeared back into the kitchen.

Sighing, I leaned back, resting my back against Race's side. He was sitting next to me, his cigar hanging loosely from his lips. The boy gave me a small smile before I heard Davey speak up from the center of the room.

He held up a glass of water, as if toasting to something. "I say we launched our strike in the auspicious manner."

The newsies stayed silent, glancing at one another. I think Davey forgets sometimes that none of us have ever attended school.

"I dunno about that." Mush spoke up. "But we sure scared the bejeebers outta Weasel!" To that, all the newsies cheered, clapping and hollering happily; we were all really excited about the strike.

"Did you see the Delanceys? They didn't knows which way was up!" Crutchie said jokingly, that big smile still on is face.

My brother suddenly appeared on the middle table, addressing the newsies. I would've gotten up there too, but I was too tired. "So, what's next?"

"Well, we have to spread the word." Davey told Jack. "Let the rest of the city's newsies know about the strike."

"You heard the man. Let's go out and spread the word."

Mush jumped up. "I'll take Harlem."

"Oh, I got Midtown." Race said, jumping up suddenly, causing me to almost fall out of the chair. He noticed and turned back to me, whispering a quick smile. I giggled softly, waving it off.

"I got the Bronx." Jojo said.

Buttons spoke up next. "I got The Bowery."

Jack nodded to all of them before staring to call of different newsies. "Specs, you take Queens. Tommy Boy, you take the East Side. And who wants Brooklyn?"

The boys turned their attention away from Jack, trying to shield themselves from his gaze. I glanced around, seeing if anyone would grow a pair before raising my hand.

Jack ignored me. "C'mon, Brooklyn, Spot Conlon's turf. Hey, Finch, yous tellin' me you're scared of Brooklyn?"

The boy in question lifted his head in surprise and slight worry. "I...I ain't scared of Brooklyn. Just...ya know, Spot Conlon makes me a little jittery."

Groaning, I stood up from my seat. "I can go to Brooklyn, J."

Finally, Jack acknowledged me. "No."

"Why?"

"Cause."

"Cause why?"

"Cause I said so."

"That's not a reason."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not." When he didn't answer, I continued. "Jack, I know Spot. Remember? He won't hurt me."

"It's not him I'm worried about." My brother said. "It's his fellas."

"I can protect myself. You know this. Besides, you're not the only leader of this strike, Jack. You're including everyone else except for me. This time I don't need your permission."

Jack seemed to think it over before he sighed. "Fine, but me and Davey are goin with yous."

"Me?" Davey said, shocked.

"Yeah."

"No, I-"

"Hey." A new voice said. Looking over at the door, I noticed an man walking through the door, wearing a vest and a tie. "What is the strike? What's going on?"

"We're spreading the word. Telling the other cities about our strike." I said, as if it were obvious. "Can we help you with somethin'?" I asked a little harsher than I meant to.

"I'm with the New York Sun. Bryan Denton." The man said, sticking out his hand. I shook it as he continued. "You seem like the kid in charge. What's your name?"

"Pockets." I said plainly.

Denton smiled and nodded before turning his attention over to Davey. "And you are?"

"David."

"David. David as in David and Goliath? You really think anyone's gonna listen to your demands?"

"He has to."

Denton asked what happened in Pulitzer's office, so we quickly told him before he sat down, opening a notebook. "Does he scare you? You're going up against the most powerful man in New York City."

"The most powerful man in New York is still just a man." I said flatly. I had returned to my seat, leaning against Race again.

"Oh, yeah." Jack said sarcastically. "Look at me; I'm trembling."

"Alright." Denton said, closing his notes and standing up. "I want to know everything that's going on."

"Are we really an important story?" Davey asked, slightly shocked.

"Well, what's important? Last year, I covered the war in Cuba. Charged up San Juan Hill with Col. Teddy Roosevelt. That was an important story. So, is the newsies' strike important? That depends on you."

Denton started to walk away before my brother stopped him. "Ay, Denton!" The man faced Jack again before he continued. "Be at the circulation gate tomorrow mornin'. And bring a camera; you're gonna want a picture of this."

As Denton left, Jacobi came out of the kitchen. "Lets go boys!" I shot him a offended look and he continued. "And Pockets. Play outside. I gotta set up for dinner and I gots payin' customers who need the tables."

"Come on. We got newsies to visit!" Finch said excitedly. All the newsies stood up, heading towards the door.

"Yeah, you won't be shooin' us off when we get our mugs in the pape!" Race shouted to Jacobi, who just rolled his eyes in return.

Word Count: 1047