Seize the Day Pt. 2

Crutchie suddenly came rushing up to the group. "Hey, Jack, look what I made!" The boy held up his crutch, showing off a piece of cloth attached to it, the word 'Strike' written largely across it. "Strike! Good, huh?"

Race nodded, giving his friend a smile. "That's great!" He then turned to me and Davey, his smile falling. "That's pitiful."

"Don't be so quick to judge. Maybe Pulitzer will see it from out his window and feel sorry for us." Les said, causing me to choke back a laugh.

"Hey, Specs." Jack called up to the boy, who was standing on top of the gates, looking out over the streets. "Any sign of reinforcements?" Specs looked out for a second before turning to Jack, shaking his head and sticking his thumb down. My brother turned back to us. "Davey, alright Davey..."

Davey seemed understand, for he started singing again. "Courage does not erase our fear. Courage is when we face our fear. Tell those in power, safe in their tower, we will not obey!"

"Behold the great battalion that stands side by side." Jack and Davey sang together. "Too dew in number and too proud to hide."

I decided to join in, the three of us singing now. "Then say to the others, who did not follow through: you're still our brothers, and we will fight for you. Now is the time to seize the day. Stare down the odds and seize the day."

"Once we begun," Everyone sang. "If we stand as one, someday becomes somehow. And a prayer become a vow."

"And the strike starts right. Damn. Now!" My brother and I sang at once.

The sound of Weasel's voice grabbed our attention. "The sun is up, the birds is singin'; it's a beautiful day to crack some heads. Step right up and get your papes."

We were on the opposite side of the center from him, standing our ground. Not a single newsies moved, which made me smirk slightly.

"Hey." Morris spoke up in his annoying voice. "You're workin' or trespassing. What's your pleasure?"

Before anyone could say anything, three other boys appeared through the gates, walking straight up to the paper stand; scabs.

"Hey, who are they?" Davey asked curiously.

"Scabs." I said angrily. They weren't going to ruin everything we were trying to do; this was too important. "What do you think?"

"They can't just waltz in here and take our jobs." Finch hollered.

"We can handle 'em." Crutchie said.

"Let's soak 'em!" Race yelled, getting a few hollers of agreement from the others, including a nod from me. I had no patience for scabbers.

"Hold it, hold it!" Davey yelled, stepping in front of the group to prevent anyone from charging at the three boys. "We all stand together or we don't have a chance. Jack!"

Jack sighed. "No, I hear ya." He told Davey before turning to the scabs. "Listen, fellas, I know someone put you up to this. They're probably payin you some extra money too, yeah? Well it ain't right! Pulitzer thinks we are gutter rats with no respect for each other. Is that who we are, huh? Well, we stab each other in the back and yeah, that's who we are. But if we stand together, we change the whole game."

"We can change the whole game." I interrupted before Jack could continue, stepping up in front of the scabs. "It ain't just about us. All across this city, there are boys and girls who should be out playin' or goin' to school but instead they are slavin' to support themselves and their folks. Ain't no crime in bein' poor, and not one of us complaining if the work we do is hard. All we ask is a square deal. Fellas, for the sake of all the kids in every sweatshop, factory, and slaughterhouse in this town, I beg you. Throw down your papes and join the strike."