Disagreements

When the boys came back to the lodging house, I was laying on my bunk, my back to them; most thought I was asleep.

I kept quiet and listened to them talk. No one really said anything, except for Albert. "You know, maybe Pockets is right." He said softly, causing a ripple of protests to go throughout the room. "I means, she dids make a good point; wes are nothin without publicity. Without Denton."

The room was quiet before Tommy Boy spoke up. "You're kinda right, Al. Hate to admit it, but you are." A few others agreed with him.

"What are you guys talking about?" Mike asked, shocked by their comments. "She's just givin up. She's supposed to be our leader! You know, now that Jack is gone. Now, she's nothing but a scabber."

"Shut up, Mike." Albert said. "Nobody asked yous."

The boy started arguing as I heard footsteps approach my bed, stopping next to it. The blanket lifted from the end of my bed and was draped over me.

The person didn't say anything, but I could feel him looking at me. After a few seconds, I heard the person take a few steps away. Then, a voice rang throughout the room, seemingly closer than the others.

"Tate has been under a lot of stress these past few hours, fellas." Race said to the others, his voice low but filled with iciness. "yne Don't any of yous realize that she just saw her whole life turn into a handful of lies? From her brotha, none da l This is what she does; she lashes out." He paused, letting the boys take in what he just said. "Just give her some time, fellas. Before we knew it, she'll be back to her old self."

"And what about Jack?" Someone said. "What do we do about 'im?"

"We just have to hope that the fellas are able to go through with their plan. Until then, get some rest. We got work to do tomorrow."

I heard shuffling as all the newsboys started getting ready for bed. A few minutes later, the room was quiet as everyone had, probably, laid down and started to go to sleep.

Did I do the right thing? I thought. Do we really have no chance? I thought it over in my head for a long time, going back and forth between right and wrong. After what felt like hours of debating, I finally came to a decision. What the hell was I thinking?

Word Count: 419

Thank you guys so much for 1k reads!!