Tyrian x NonBinary!Reader | A Fight Of Wits

For @snowkit33

"This is horse bollocks!" Your last contender spits as you drive him into checkmate in the corner of the Inn. You suppress a smile- cockiness tends only to cause fights; something you've learnt from your main source of income, bets.

As a street urchin growing up, you had enough grit and determination to try and find yourself a way through life. You read every book you could scrounge for; and from your natural wits and knowledge, nothing came as well to you as strategy. It seemed a useless skill to possess- but a couple of games of chess in an Inn one day got you enough money to stay there for the night, and still have enough left over for food.

Hope had glimmered in your body that day- and it has sprouted into opportunity. Now, you had become somewhat of a local attraction- "The Cloaked Rook" had become your nickname, and for the offer of free accommodation, you stayed at the pub and did one simple thing all day-

You played people at chess. You played them well, too- played them all like fiddles. With each competitor down you were left with an abundance of money- but with low expectations from youth, greed had never captured your heart. You bought what you needed to get by, and gave most of what was left to friends and family who couldn't afford the luxury of accommodation.

Today was another day of 6-move wins and 5 minute games, and it was beginning to get tedious. You had grown to love chess once upon a time- but now it was your pastime, it felt bland, every move being predictable and monotonous- yours, and your opponents.

How prophetic for your wits to finally be matched today, then.

Adjusting the oversized blue, silky hood that hung down heavy over your features (any locals to the pub knew your face and features quite well, but it certainly added to the effect), you patiently prepared yourself for the next in line amongst the crowds of squabbling sailors, nobles and beggars alike to sit opposite you and throw in their bets.

Clink.

You rose your head slightly, and took in the heavy pouch that sat aside the board. That sounded like a lot of money- or a lot of change. Silently, you investigated, sweeping the pouch into your hand and loosening the cord- a short gasp emitted from your mouth, and you noticed the quiet rumble of the onlookers die into complete silence at the challenge put forward.

"I know, not exactly a modest bet on myself. Then again, it's not like I don't have the money to spare." The cocky voice was lively in tone, and you rose your eyes to see the source of such a confident challenger- when you saw the small form and the calm, wry grin facing back at you, your lips parted in shock-

Lord Tyrion Lannister, of King's Landing.

You let in a sharp gasp, quiet enough for most eager onlookers to pass over it, but the little Lord's grin only widened further, "Surprised? I wouldn't be. I mean with everything I'd heard and all this fame you're gaining my dear, it was only a matter of time before I'd come down to challenge you myself."

You bite your lip, eyes quickly dashing between the bag of gold and the lord before you, who was yet to see your face. Such a large bet- even I'd have difficult matching it... can I really accept this fight?

Moving with uncertainty- slow, stiff- you began to fumble for your pockets to match the bet- when a hand firmly gripped your forearm from affront, stopping you in your tracks,

"That won't be necessary. My bet in money is the best I can match to the victory of beating one of the best minds of the seven kingdoms- or so the innkeeper and all the locals claim."

You can't help but chuckle at the cynical quips that kept rolling from the little dwarves mouth- so, relaxing back into your chair, you flexed your hands and crossed over your legs,

"Okay, Little lord. Let's see what you've got."

The game lasted hours. You had expected people to leave by the time 3 hours had gone by, but the tensions were thick around you. The little lord put up a good fight, and both of you were forced into mistakes. Now it was down to the last few pieces- you had two castles and a handful of oppressive pawns- he had a Bishop, a Knight and 2 pawns edging closer to the end of your board, something you hadn't noticed until he won himself a queen back.

It took 2 hours after this for you to finally take him down with the 2 queens and castle you had out of your pieces. The inn was meant to be closed and quiet, but roared into life as you uttered the last words with a smile tugging at your mouth,

"Check. Mate."

The dwarf was in awe. His jaw remained aloof for several minutes before he himself laughed through his own shock.

"My... ah, what- who are you exactly?"

"Just call me Rook."
"Could we talk away from the eyes of people? I'm afraid I can't just go by without getting the real name of my defeater, and knowing a little more about them."

You silently rose, with an air of panic, but your voice remained unwavered in response, "We can talk, but the hood stays up. Business." At least, that's what you pretended to think. But the only people to have seen your face were the family that ran the inn- and you preferred to keep it that way. Anyone in any position of power nowadays- nobility, riches, heroic deeds or fame- found themselves in danger.

You had to admit, clashing wits with someone paralleled to your own critical thinking felt refreshing, and felt right- you wanted to know the man better, which is why you let him follow you downstairs through the cellar behind the big kegs of ale- here you would be disturbed only by the staff, and it wasn't likely they would tell a Lannister he wasn't welcome wherever he damn pleased in this part of town- even Tyrion.

Slinging yourself up onto a barrel, you fiddled nervously with your hands as you looked beneath your cowl across at him. He had been gathering his thoughts for some time, but finally spoke out,

"You know, I've never been beaten in a game of wits by any other person before. It's quite a lashing to my pride- you're lucky I'm not any other Lannister, or that could end up being a bad thing for you, dear."

You furrowed your brow and folded your arms right against your chest, "Nobody has the right to disown someone else for their own failures." The statement was cold, and Tyrion quickly flustered to find words to explain, "Oh! Of course! I-I wasn't implying you shouldn't have won- in fact, I'm glad you did. I've caught an interest in you now, you know- and I'd like to know more."

Now you wavered. This was a man who's intellect and maturity you revered, from what you'd been told- and now he appeared to want to learn from you. The thought made you giddy, and you couldn't quite tell why- but you had to fight to keep your glee and trust on a leash- you had it hard growing up, and revealing yourself too early could very easily compromise you. If you had the chance to get to know the lord, maybe your trust with him could grow...

"A deal." You responded after several minutes of quiet, "or, a proposal shall I say. You beat me in a game of chess, and I'll tell you something about myself, and let you take me anywhere under the cover of darkness. Win enough games, and I'll reveal what's under the hood- because if you're really that smart, maybe you're worth trusting." You taunted, and felt his frustrating in the quivering of his lip. And yet, with a grunt of irritation, he hopped off the barrel and met you between, thrusting out a hand to shake,

"I must go once we've agreed on this- but I'll be back to visit again soon. And next time, you best be prepared to pour your heart out." He leered, and you met his grip with your own, firm one, shaking once. Then, to your surprise, he turned your hand before it slipped away and brought it to his lips, before turning and walking off,

"My lord, Such a gesture is surely-"

"Call me sapiosexual for particular cases, and leave it at that. Goodnight, dear "Rook." Until we meet again."

With that, he was gone- and you were back to preparing, and waiting.

Sorry for the slow responses guys, I've had legit no life the last few weeks chugging out revision and the rest. My updates for the book may be a lot slower this year because there are other writing projects I'd like to get done too, plus College like I say. You should check out my poetry anthology! Am working it up to 15 poems, all very contemporary and 21st century.