vacation

Steve couldn't remember the last time he had taken a vacation. Hell, he wasn't sure he had ever taken one to begin with. Not since he was defrosted at least. And even before he went into the ice, the only true vacation he had gone on was with Bucky's family to Coney Island one summer. But that was only for a day and a half.

A few days had passed since he had agreed to stay in Croatia with Q. And despite everything that had happened between them - all the lies and secrets and what not, they were having a really nice time together. It was relaxing, as a vacation should be. There wasn't a graph or a chart in sight. There weren't any sudden missions or ops that needed his attention. The Avengers commitments that usually took precedence over their alone time together were ignored. It was just the two of them. Alone, in a country far enough away from the Avengers and whatever it was Q was doing. No interruptions at all. Just the two of them.

While there were two separate beds in the apartment, they ended up sleeping together in the same one. Mostly out of habit, partly out of making up for lost time. Both intimately and otherwise. Though it was different than the time before. Before, she would be the first one asleep while Steve would lie awake for a few hours. Now, it took both of them an equal amount of time to let sleep take them, almost for the same reasons. Both for fear of nightmares coming to haunt, but for Q there was a noise in her brain that wouldn't quiet, which she tried to explain to him. He couldn't understand it, but it didn't stop him from staying up with her, lightly tracing patterns across her skin so her brain would focus on something else until she fell asleep. Physical white noise.

Falling asleep in each other's arms was a familiar comfort, though now Steve was much more careful when wrapping his arms around her; thanks to Q's newly discovered sensitivity, one small touch would be enough to wake her. Waking up in the morning to find Q still slumbering somewhat peacefully next to him was a calming reminder that she hadn't ducked away in the middle of the night, left him again without an explanation. Sometimes, he woke up to find her staring at him, a tell tale sign that she had woken up in the middle of the night from a nightmare he didn't know about - and didn't know what about, but didn't dare move from her spot in case he woke up too. She knew where his mind would immediately go.

The early morning light backlit her almost every time they woke up together. Casting her in an almost angelic light that sharply contrasted the serious, almost fearful look on her face. He would watch her eyes search his as if she was looking for something important that only was able to be found in his eyes. When she found whatever she was looking for, her entire body would relax. Almost as if it were a reminder that they were still there. Together. And it wasn't a trick.

The days were spent doing various pre-planned activities together. Though there weren't any graphs or charts, there certainly was a folder. Or two. He had seen them on the table in the dining area the first morning of their "vacation" while she was in the shower.

"I can't believe you made us schedules." he commented once she had joined him in the main area. She tried not to smile at the sight of him holding up one of the schedules she had came up with while planning.

"Really? You can't?" she asked back with a raise of her eyebrows. The corners of his lips twitched, his stance relaxing almost immediately with a hint of their familiar banter.

"No, of course I can." he backtracked, glancing at the schedule again, "I just didn't think you would." a warmth blossomed behind his sternum at the sight of all the things she had planned for them to do together. Even before he had agreed to stay with her.

"Well, I did." she answered matter of factly before moving over to peck a kiss to his cheek, "And we better get our asses in gear if we're gonna make the bus to the vineyard."