Chapter 36

(Serena's POV)

On my way to history class with Iris, we came across Ash, Misty, Yellow, and Tracey in the hallways.

"Aren't you guys heading to class?" Iris asked.

"Yes, but we got out early after our homeroom scientist practically left us on our own," Misty sighed.

"Um, homeroom scientist, Misty?" I questioned.

"Professor Oak had to take a leave of absence for Gary," Tracey answered. "And for our substitute, one of the staff members is taking over for him."

"Xerosic," Yellow replied.

"Xerosic? What a weird name. Like a name of a boss in a video game," Iris remarked.

"Gosh, I hope not," Misty sighed heavily. "We already had enough of dealing with those kind of people like Team Rocket."

"Wow, I haven't heard about Team Rocket for a while," Tracey pointed out. "I wonder what they're doing nowadays."

"Probably running a suspicious underground restaurant somewhere near us," Iris joked.

While they were talking among themselves, I looked over to Ash, who had not said a word at all and he appears to be lost in thought.

"Ash?" I tapped on his shoulder.

"Huh? Oh, yes, Serena?" Ash responded.

By the look on his face, I knew something was bothering him.

"Ash," I spoke up.

"What is it?" Ash asked.

"... if you have any doubt on your mind, please tell me, okay?"

"Well, okay? But what's this all of the sudden?"

I stood very close to him and held onto his hand.

"I can't read minds, but I know there's something troubling you," I said with concern. "And I'm worried that whatever is bothering you, you'll end up hurting yourself because of it."

A few days ago, Ash triggered the mysterious power between him and Greninja by battling Alain and his Charizard. But after a certain time, he felt some excruciating pain and passed out from exhaustion.

I was relieved that his condition wasn't serious, but the thought of losing him was one of the scariest moments of my life...

"I'm sorry," Ash apologized and squeezed my hand back. "I didn't mean to worry you, but it's nothing for you to be worried about, Serena."

"Are you sure, Ash? You're... not hiding anything, right?" I asked again.

He seemed hesitant but quickly reassured me with a smile.

"Of course not, but it's true that a lot of things happened this week and it's been really hard to take all of that in, especially with Gary, Leafia, and Yellow."

Ash whispered softly enough, so Yellow does not hear him.

"Yeah, I know how you feel, Ash," I spoke softly. "If anything happened to my closest friends, then I wouldn't be myself either. And that's why..."

I looked up at him with the biggest smile on my face.

"... that's why I want to become a Pokemon Performer," I said proudly. "I want to see the smile on everyone's faces, especially yours, Ash."

"Serena..." Ash scratched his cheek. "Your performances will always bring a smile to my face."

My face went red from his compliment.