chapter 17.

18th April - saturday

chantelle is outside in her front garden, relaxing and reading the book 'the picture of dorian gray '. she has a slightly alcoholic beverage by her side on the deck chair.

she glances up slightly and sees liam strolling towards her, happily. he has two small bags in his hand and he has a smug grin on his face.

chantelle checks her watch on her brown, smooth wrist and looks up at him.

"where have you been all day, it's 12:09?" she asks watching as he takes a seat beside her. he looks up at her his eyes full of mischief.

"why? did you miss me?" he asks flashing a cute smile towards her. chantelle laughs at his face and punches his arm, softly.

"no, i was just curious." she lies with a small grin. he scoffs and ignores her attempt to lie.

"i was at the driver's ed place and i also went grocery shopping." he states placing the bags down onto the grass. chantelle nods, understanding before taking a sip of her drink.

"so did you pass?" she asks leaning closer. he and rolls his eyes, smugly.

"of course, i fucking did." he says huffing. she raises her eyebrows, skeptical.

"both theory and practical?" she asks looking at him. he nods. "in how many tries?"

"my first try." he says crossing his arms and leans backwards against the fence. she claps her hands, excitedly.

"congratulations!" she says smiling. he smiles back and leans over. she notices how close he's getting and puts her hand on his chest.

he stops and watches as her hand lingers there for a moment before she pulls it away. chantelle looks up at him, with narrow eyes.

"stop coming so close to me." she hisses, annoyed. he smirks, lazily and leans away from her.

"sorry, dela." he says that word slipping out of his mouth. she scrunches up her eyebrows and pouts. he notices but doesn't say a word.

"anyways.. when are you getting your car?" she asks avoiding his eyes. he shrugs his broad shoulders, unsure.

"i don't know.. maybe tuesday after school." he says his eyes focused on her hands as she fiddles with them, unconsciously.

"that's great.. you can drive me to my swimming lessons." she says smiling at him. he rolls his eyes.

"chantelle, the swimming centre is ten minutes away.. why do you need to drive there?" he asks shaking his head. she smirks.

"i don't know.. i just wanted an excuse to be in your car." she says honestly, brushing her unruly curls away from her face. he laughs at her answer.

"wow." he says as she starts to read again. she takes another sip of her drink and glances up at him, wearily.
liam gives her a pointed look.

why is she drinking? it's midday.

"why are you drinking at this time of the day?" he asks as she squirms, trying to get comfortable. she looks at him with a bored look.

"because.. i was bored." chantelle says as he looks at her, unconvinced. "besides already had one before this and i'm fine."

"that's not a good habit." he comments. she shrugs, unbothered and looks at him, wearily.

"neither is swearing but you do it anyway." she murmurs under her breath. he pretends not to hear her and shrugs his shoulders.

"why are you worrying about me? you should be focused on your own problems." she says a small smile on her lips as she glances towards the bags. liam snickers.