Chapter 37: The Boy with the Broken Heart

Beginne am Anfang

It didn't seem to matter that this child lay helplessly in the dreary hospital room hooked up to tubes and lines, that he was battling a lifelong, debilitating disease. When he saw Fenix, it was as if it was Christmas morning and he had a pile of presents to open.

"Daddy!" He squealed in a lively tone, while stirring in his bed. "I'm playin' Lego Batman, come help me get the Joker." His little voice echoed excitedly in the dank room.

"Hey buddy, I missed you too." Fenix chuckled while he approached his son.

He bent over to place a loving kiss on Carver's forehead and ruffled his hair affectionately before he took up residence on the side of his son's bed. It was plain to see that he was a good dad who cared deeply for his first born. There was no doubt in my mind that if given the chance, he'd give up his life for his child. In that moment, I knew he was the man I had always craved in my life. He was a man who had his faults, but was everything that I wanted and I needed.

"Daddy who's that?" Carver inquired half-heartedly; with eyes still glued to the TV screen as his knowledge little fingers worked the video game controller.

"That Carver," He pointed in my direction and gestured me inside the room, "Is my friend Jade. You remember the one I told you about." He finished casually, but threw me a compassionate and encouraging look, as if to say 'come in, he doesn't bite'.

"Hi Carver, I'm Jade. It's nice to meet you." I stuttered awkwardly. I mean, I wanted to make a good impression on him, but kids weren't really my thing. "So, what are working on?"

"Do you play Lego Batman? 'Cause daddy isn't that good at it." He whispered rather loudly to me, not that it couldn't be heard in the hall, and then rolled his eyes at his dad's attempt to be helpful.

"I'm sorry, video games aren't for me. I don't know how to play them." I explained in the best way I could, considering that this was my first conversation with a 4 year old. It was a bit intimidating but I wasn't about to clam up now.

"It's easy, even daddy can do it. I'll teach you. Come here." Carver said in an exuberant tone. He shoved his dad gently and patted the spot Fenix had vacated at his bedside. I chuckled quietly to myself in response to the 'I've just been traded in' look that covered my boyfriend's face.

Carver was darling. It showed in the way he held my hands on the controller and helped me press the buttons and the way he told me what to do and where to go in his adorable baby voice. He was truly a sweet and innocent child, just the way I would have wanted my baby to be if he had lived.

We we're just getting to the heart of the game while Fenix watched with a content smile on his face when there was a knock on the hospital room door, followed by the entrance of a man wearing a white lab coat and scrubs who I assumed was the doctor.

"Good morning little man. How's my favorite patient feeling this morning?" The doctor whose name tag clearly read Dr. Sawyer asked Carver.

"Sleepy, my chest is thumpety and I'm mad 'cause the Joker is beating us!" He replied in a common, child-like way. He threw the doctor but a brief glance before returning his attention to the game.

"I see. Well it seems like your friend is trying to help you with that. Are you feeling shaky or breathing fast?" Dr. Sawyer returned.

"A little, but I feel better now that Jadey is helping me. She's way better than daddy at fightin' the bad guys." His small voice chirped just as he elbowed me in the side and smiled. It appeared I had won him over with my superior dexterity and hand-eye coordination. Who knew it would be so easy to make a small child happy.

"That's good little man, I'm happy you've found a new friend." The doctor replied and then turned his attention to a slightly apprehensive looking Fenix. "Mr. Rivers, can I speak with you for a moment please?"