Chapter 2: The Morning After

COMMENT & VOTE

****************************

Chapter 2: The Morning After

When I peeled my eyes open in the morning, I thoroughly regretted the night before. My head was pounding like a bass drum in a marching band and the pain was excruciating. I was incredibly nauseous, my stomach tied in knots and the queasiness was almost unbearable. This was one bad ass morning after, the likes of which I hadn't felt in quite some time. It wasn't often that I went drinking and this was precisely the reason why. What had I done? That was the only question swirling in my mind, one which I was desperately trying to piece together. Slowly the events of the raucous night returned to me in flashes. I had gone out partying and had way too fucking much to drink, there was no doubt about that.

After a few more moments of searching my mind I remembered that I had steamy, passionate sex, probably the best sex I've ever had, with a random stranger in the men's bathroom. I couldn't be certain if the name he had given me was his real one because Fenix was an obscure name. After that, I was first surprised and then threatened by my douche bag ex-fiancé Soren. He popped back into my life unexpectedly and though the events were fuzzy, I recalled his obvious threats and how creepy he made me feel. Then I was ripped a new one by my awesomely germ-a-phobic best friend Nash who did not approve of my choice of places for a sexual escapade. Yeah, what a night it had turned out to be and what a birthday present it was. After much thought, I decided that I was swearing off booze for a hell of a long time after that eventful episode.

Besides, my last year of college started in two days and I was not going to piss it all away. It was three years of hard work and study to get me to this point. All of that hard work, struggle and tears were just too valuable to cast aside over random drinking binges. Not now, when I was so close to graduating and fulfilling my families dreams for me. I wasn't on the best standing with my parents, but I owed it to them for past transgressions. I needed to focus and maintain my studies so I could graduate with honors, just like my family expected. I could not let them down again, not after last time.

I groaned and turned over with much effort, only to come face to face with something unexpected. I blinked a few times to clear my vision so I could get a better look. It was a picture, one I thought I had packed away and hadn't laid eyes on in months. I stared at it in confusion wondering how the hell it got there and why it would be placed so obviously on my pillow. Was I going through old photos last night after we got home? I wasn't sure, but in any case, the picture held interesting memories for me. The auburn haired beauty held tightly to a tall, blond haired man, his arms wrapped securely around her. The two smiling and seemingly happy and in love, but looks could be deceiving.

It was a photo of Soren and I, from last year on my birthday. It was a completely different time then, and I often wished to feel that kind of joy again. That was a time when we were happy, so much in love and things seemed much simpler. It was a facade of course, but in my youth and naivety, I fed into it wholeheartedly. I often wondered how I was fooled by Soren and why I didn't see his true persona sooner in our relationship. It freaked me out to think of how it could have gotten on top of my pillow, but maybe I was more drunk last night than I thought and left it there by mistake. This was exactly why I was never going to drink again.

A few seconds later, a thud sounded from the direction of my door. I thought it must have been a soft knocking, but it sounded and felt more like a wrecking ball smashing into my head. The pounding was almost unbearable and reminded me that my hangover was at it's highest point of misery. I hated my life. What the hell was I thinking last night? Sure it's fun to find yourself at the bottom of a bottle once in a while, but perhaps this time I'd gone too far. I quietly called for the intruder to come in and was pleasantly surprised when I saw Nash approaching me and crawling into bed with me. He wrapped his arm around me in a comforting way and I slid closer to him.