Chapter 37: The Boy with the Broken Heart

Sorry for the delay in posting the story, ikts been a very very busy month or two. please just bare with me and NO THIS STORY IS NOT FINISHED YET!

***************************

Recap Chap 37:

I was lost in his eyes and all the passion I saw in them for both his friends and his job. His words of explanation melted away into the background as I concentrated on what Mira and I could come up with to keep Alec on track and headed toward his goal of being a secret agent while still putting Soren behind bars for good.

If there was anything I knew about Mira, it was that she was just as adamant and scheming as I was. I'm sure that Alec wouldn't know what hit him once we developed our own plan to get him to Quantico as soon as possible.

*****************************

Chapter 37: The Boy with the Broken Heart

"What if he doesn't like me?" I asked with pure horror. The thought of being disliked was sorrowful in itself, but being disliked by perhaps the only person in this world that Fenix loved more than me, was positively dismaying. I was swiftly entering panic mode and beginning to become unglued.

"Why wouldn't he like you hotness? Honestly, you're completely misjudging the situation. He's four and a half love, he likes everyone." Fenix replied smoothly while he gripped my hand firmly for what I could only assume was moral support.

It helped, although not to the extent that I needed it to. I was a veritable mess, but if I wanted to have a life with Fenix, then I needed to start becoming accustomed to the most important things in his life, his sick child being the main one. I only prayed that things went the way we hoped they would.

"Okay, so I'll dial down the nervous paranoia a bit. Happy now Rivers?" I asked, sarcasm dripping from my words unintentionally. I had to learn how to get a handle on my hormones and fast, before I caused more problems in this new relationship than I'd already experienced.

"Not quite, but I will be." He said as he squeezed my hand that he held in his and hesitated a moment in front of the hospital room door. "Remember he's young and fragile. He has no idea about our relationship, just that we are friends. So don't let the cat out of the bag just yet. In his eyes, I'm happily married his mom." He started to explain, but I stopped him as an 'aww' moment came over me.

"Wait badboy, you told him about me? That's so freaking sweet!" I gushed proudly. With every word that fell from his mouth, I was falling further in love with him.

"Of course I did, but that's beside the point. He's fragile and doesn't quite understand the dynamic of the relationship between his mother and I, or the true nature of his illness. So all I ask is that you keep the atmosphere light and jovial, okay hotness?" He explained further.

I could see it in his eyes, the concern and love he held for his child. Those ice blue orbs held an intensity I had yet to see. It didn't take a rocket scientist to comprehend that Carver was his world, his everything, and it wasn't hard to see the fear that he tried so desperately to mask. I had lost a child, so I knew how that felt and was empathetic to his sensitivity. Nothing is worse than the threat of losing your flesh and blood, aside from the loss itself.

"Okay baby, I can do this." I commented softly, returning the encouraging squeeze he'd given my hand.

Not a moment later, Fenix swung the hospital room door open and I gasped in response to what met my wondering eyes. In the stark white room that seemed so sterile and unfriendly, lay a beautiful boy with light brown hair and golden eyes. A wide smile that rivaled the span of the Grand Canyon illuminated his pale baby face when his innocent eyes fell upon his father.