Chapter 18: Poison Control

To an awesome fan who is always thinking & coming up with crazy ideas... pst, you were right :)

fans and readers... don't be mad after you read this okay... so yeah, enjoy :)

*************************************

Recap chap 17:

‘Freedom has its price. This is your price. Are you ready to pay?’ The note stated.

I dropped the paper from my hand and covered my mouth. A small gasp escaped my quivering lips. My heart was crashing in my chest and my faced must have turned as white as a ghost. What was he planning now?

************************************

Chapter 18: Poison Control

 I sat there for I don’t know how long, shocked and completely beside myself. What had Soren meant by that? What kind of twisted plans could he have devised now? Was he going to go after one of my friends, Nash, Mira or even Alec? Had my attempts to distance myself from Fenix been futile and he was still a target? I could barely think, let alone breathe with this new found knowledge. I felt myself falter, I knew I was close to a panic attack and there was nothing I could have done to stop it.

My heart was racing and I was nauseous and lightheaded. I had to get my thoughts on something else, something that would bring calm, but that was incredibly hard to accomplish when the fate of my friends, or perhaps some innocent person was hanging in the balance. What if creepy guy had heard our conversation? What if he knew I was pregnant? Surely Soren was bound to find out since he was stalking me, but I thought I had time, time to hide this or maybe even find a way out of this situation.

A warm arm wrapped around my shoulder and I was brought out of my stupor. I turned my head to see Nash sitting next to me and pulling me toward him protectively. I really did love how he cared for me, I only hoped that it would be enough to calm me down and keep me from harm. Somehow, I knew it just wasn’t enough.

I saw Alec speaking quietly in the corner to the poor unsuspecting waitress. I couldn’t help but feel guilty that she was dragged into this and that Alec scared the shit out of her for a reason unknown to her. The guilt and fear swelled in me once again and I was finally overtaken by tears as Alec slowly made his way toward us.

“Nash, go get the car and meet us out front. I’ll stay with her.” Alec offered gently, more like ordered his brother away so he could be alone with me for a few moments. I felt Nash’s grip tighten on me, but I didn’t meet his eyes as he placed a soft kiss on my cheek and obeyed his brother’s wishes. I watched as he left the coffee shop and was replaced by Alec.

“You okay? Do you need a pill?” He questioned softly while bringing his face to meet mine, with a reassuring and encouraging smile that exuded sympathy and concern. I stared into his soft blue eyes and concentrated on them. I needed his strength and his calm to keep me from going over the edge of insanity. It meant so much that he had the patience to share my burden and that he cared enough to keep my secret, even though it may not have been the best idea I ever had to keep it from Nash.

My heart rate and breathing started to return to normal and I felt the warmth and blood flow slowly return to my face and body. I had had enough of this worry and fear. I wanted nothing more than for all of this Soren mess to end. I didn’t know how much longer I would be able to endure it before it killed me, or someone else. I leaned into Alec’s strong arms and breathed a deep calming breath, letting the oxygen fill my lungs and settle the panicked feeling of being breathless.