Chapter Seventeen

Celia-bearrrr, hiiii

Jamie! Finally. Where have you been?

Here and there, where habe you been?

I said habe instead of have. Oops, haha.

Are you okay?

Peachy, babe. Are you?

I like calling you babe.

Babe. Babe. Babe.

Are you high?

High on you. ;)

Jamie, I'm being serious.

Fine then, party pooper. No, I'm not high.

...I may be a teepsy bit tipsy, though.

Oops, I meant feepsy.

Teensy. *

Typing is hard. :(

You're drunk. Why?

It's better than the alternative.

The alternative?

It hurts more when I'm sober. I miss her.

I miss her a lot.

Did you know it's my birthday today?

It is?! How come you didn't tell me, Jamie?

It doesn't matter.

Of course it matters. It's your birthday.

It doesn't matter because I don't matter.

For a moment, Cecelia seemed to forget how to breathe. As she read the three words on her screen, her heart shattered. Though Jamie hadn't said the words aloud and tone couldn't be conveyed through text, from the few phone calls they shared, Cecelia could imagine the words coming out of Jamie's mouth, saturated in heartbreak and punctuated with a break in his voice. She couldn't hear him saying the words on her screen, but she felt them as if she could.

At first, she struggled with not knowing what to type. No words would be the right ones, so she settled on the first ones to come to mind, sending a message.

One message turned into two which turned into five and even when the sun rose, causing natural light to spill into her room through her window, she still hadn't received a reply.