Chapter Six

Sweetums! Would you look at that? It's our anniversary.

Unfortunately.

Ouch.

That's alright. I'll forgive you. Now where are my chocolates and flowers for our anniversary?

You're kidding. I don't even know if we live in the same country, and you want chocolates and flowers?

Look at the area code, genius. We're clearly both from America and both from the same general area. Plus, we obviously live in the same time zone.

Oh, I guess you're right.

No, you know I'm right, you've just got something called pride and refuse to swallow it, quitter.

Quitter?

Yeah, since you won't swallow your pride. You know what they say, spitters are quitters.

Uh, Celia, I don't think that phrase is in reference to swallowing pride...

Lmao, of course it is.

No. I'm ninety-nine percent sure it's not.

OH MY GOD. IT'S NOT.

I told you.

I GOOGLED IT.

Did you?

I DID AND I THINK I SHOULD KEEP, LIKE, A CHILD PROTECTION SEARCH THINGY ON GOOGLE. OH GOD. I'M SCARRED.

What?

I don't know. I'm being dramatic.

Clearly.

Hey!

Hey, Celia?

Yeah?

✿✿✿✿
✿✿✿
✿✿✿✿✿✿

JAMIE

MY GOD YOU'RE ADORABLE.

DID YOU JUST SEND ME VIRTUAL FLOWERS?

yes and i'm full of instant regret

AW, OH MY GOD, AND THERE ARE 4 AND THEN 3 AND THEN 6. FOR 4:36.

that there are

Maybe it seems overdramatic, but I don't think you realize how much that actually means.

It's just a message.

To you, maybe. But to me, it's a thoughtful and sweet gesture, even if only a small one. And that's something I'm not accustomed to.

What do you mean?

People don't tend like me at all, let alone like me enough to do something thoughtful and/or sweet for me.

I'm sure that's not true.

Are you there?

Celia?

In that moment, as she stared at the messages coming in, the cursor blinking, and the letters waiting to be tapped, she was grateful. She was grateful he couldn't see her wet cheeks or hear her sniffles. She was grateful. Grateful that no stuttering, pausing, or breaks in her voice could be heard through text messages. Cecelia was used to being disliked, how could she not be? It started with the person who was supposed to love her the most, her mother, and continued year after year with friends and strangers. It started with her mother, and it would never end as long as Cecelia was alive, because while everyone else may have disliked her, she did them one better.

She hated herself.

**

A/N: remember when I said it was all lighthearted? I lied. *evil laughter*