Chapter 12

The sorcerer was back.

I could feel him watching us, yet there was still nothing I could do. I felt completely useless.

"What? Seriously? I thought that bastard was done with us." Oliver said with a frown, not looking horribly worried.

"I guess not. I wonder what he wants. He's still watching us." I said, looking up and around, wishing desperately that I could see him. For some reason, I felt like he could have something to do with the rogues, but it was only a theory. It was then that a voice startled me and Oliver both.

"Kira, what's wro-" Vladen cut himself off instantly and looked up, determination written all over his face.

"Vladen? How did you get here? And why?" I asked. He ignored me and seemed to reach out into thin air as if grabbing hold of an invisible string.

He seemed to be struggling with whatever he was doing, but after a few moments my chest started to feel like ice. This was accompanied by a lack of oxygen coming into my lungs. I tried to breathe, but to no avail. With that, the icy feeling began to spread down my torso and up toward my throat, causing me to feel paralyzed.

I felt myself collapse, but Oliver caught me just before I hit the floor. This seemed to  get Vladen's attention and he quite whatever it was that he was doing. The presence of the sorcerer disappeared not a moment later. It wasn't until then that my body began to start feeling normal again.

"Kira? Kira are you okay?" Oliver asked, gently sitting me on the floor. His brilliant blue eyes danced over me with concern, making my heart leap in excitement. 

He still cares about me.

"Yeah, I think so. I don't know what happened though."

"He was trying to kill you." Vladen said bluntly. Oliver gasped, but I was stunned into silence.

"What? Why would he do that?"

"I don't know. I'm not omniscient." Vladen snapped, clearly annoyed. That only seemed to anger Oliver in return.

"What the hell were you doing anyway?" Oliver asked, seeming to read my mind. 

"I was trying to pull the sorcerer through the wormhole he had open."

"Uh, English please." I said, not sure what he was meaning.

"To watch you, he has to open a very small wormhole that's too small to travel through, but I was trying to open it up and yank him through so that he was here. I came here with a similar way of travel, literally with perfect timing too."

"So a wormhole is how you travel around? You just open one up and hop through?" Oliver asked.

"Sort of, but sorcerers are unable to do that. They can only observe or send spells or curses across, as he did just now." Vladen said with a frown etched into his features. He began to pace the room as Oliver helped me up from the floor.

"Are you sure you're alright?" He asked, his voice returning to a calm state. He had a grip on my arm, as if ready to catch me if I were to fall. 

"Yes, I'm sure." I said, giving his an assuring smile. Oliver smiled back before turning to a still-pacing Vladen. 

"Shouldn't you be the one doting on her? You're supposed to be her mate." Oliver said, now looking suspicious. I was about to point out that he wasn't, but Vladen spoke first.

"I know she's fine, so there's no need to check."

"You didn't even look like you cared." Oliver shot back, frowning.