Chapter 24

Klemins and Garen both smiled at me, though they looked curious.

"How odd for a child to be able to detect vampires." Klemins said, his accent wasn't as nearly as thick as Otto's giving proof that he was used to speaking English.

"Indeed. I don't suppose you're thinking the same thing as I am?" Garen asked, directing his question at Klemins. My thoughts were racing; it sounded like he knew about the Pure Blood.

"I believe so. How old are you darling?" Klemins asked me.

"Uh, I'm 17." I said, giving him a questioning look. He nodded and looked at Garen.

"There are so many different rumors about when the change will happen. It could easily be at the age of 18 or 21." He said, eyes shining with hope.

"You're right. Kira, have you ever noticed anything strange about yourself? Maybe like having perfect luck or anything else that might give you a strange feeling the way you get with you can tell it someone is a vampire or not." Garen asked me. "Think carefully." He added as I opened my mouth to reply.

"No I haven't. Why do you ask?" I lied through my teeth, obviously knowing full well I was a Pure Blood. They looked at each other, disappointment clear on their faces.

"It could be something different. She gives off a strange atmosphere; I'm confident that she might be the one." Klemins said. Just then, the front door opened and Jansen walked inside.

"I couldn't find Kira- oh, you're already here." He had a look of surprise, but quickly shook his head.

"Please, if you can think of anything even slightly out of the ordinary, tell us. What about your blood? Has any vampire reacted strongly to it?" Klemins asked, desperation clear in his voice.

"Not that I know of. I'm not really sure what you mean."

"Like has a vampire ever said your blood was better than any other he'd tried?" Garen insisted.

"No, if my blood tasted different nobody ever told me." I continued to lie, happy with how confident my words were. Both sighed heavily.

"Darling, would you mind if I tasted your blood, just to make sure?" Klemins asked, though he most likely knew what my answer would be.

"Uh, um." I stepped back, and luckily Jansen and his father stepped in.

"No way!" Jansen snapped, pulling me behind him protectively. At the same time Marcus answered as well. "I don't think that's an appropriate thing to ask of her."

I felt a little bad that I was lying and Jansen and Marcus were both being protective, but I was also flattered. Klemins shot them both annoyed looks, but didn't argue. He slowly sat down, though I couldn't recall him actually standing up.

"You don't need to worry; I would only taste a few drops." Klemins offered, hope still shining in his eyes. 

"I understand you're respectable, but this girl just came from terrible experience with vampires. The answer is no." Marcus responded in a clipped tone. 

"Dad, maybe we should have Oliver come over here." Jansen offered after giving Klemins a suspicious look.

"Absolutely not. That boy is disrespectful and I won't be able to tolerate him at the moment."

"But this involves Kira, it should involve him t-"

"Kira is not his property. She does not need him for everything; that's the end of this discussion Jansen." Marcus barked, shooting his son a glare. Jansen's jaw was clenched, but he didn't talk back. I looked back to Klemins to see he was still staring at me, obviously deep in thought. Garen watched me carefully, but not nearly as intensely. I heard Marcus sigh, but my eyes were locked with Garen's. I had a feeling he was the older of the two, but not more powerful.