A Brand New Day, Pt. 6

Start from the beginning

Yoojung smiled. How thankful she was that she didn't give up even when it was so hard.

"You really impressed me these past 16 hours, Yoojung," Granny continued. "Plowing in the fields, entertaining my 164389 requests without a single complaint - it takes so much energy and patience. Plus, the way you calculated the amount of food earlier, that's a huge bonus. You hit jackpot on all the amounts of food I usually purchase for our family. I must say, for someone of your age, to know all these things... you're a great catch Yoojung."

Yoojung felt her face burn up once more, this time with embarrassment more than anything. "Granny, I-"

"Thank you, Yoojung," Granny inched closer to Yoojung and held Yoojung's hand in hers, smiling at her warmly. "I'm so happy that Jimin found you."

~

"It happened when none of us had least expected it."

Jieun's voice was shaky, completely unstable, but she was trying her best.

"Somi called me at around 11pm at night," Jieun smiled a little, remembering how Somi used to call her at random times in the day and expected her to appear at her house half an hour later. "'A late night movie just for the two of us', she always said."

Jieun chuckled sadly, before continuing.

"She used to be obsessed with movies, and we used to snuggle up in her bed while watching movies through her projector in her room.

So that night, I was actually on my way home from prep school, but once I received her call, I practically flew over. I was so exhausted, but she was like my own person charger, that girl.

She was so happy to see me that day too. I remember the first thing she said when I stepped into the house was- 'My day was so bad, but now that I see you, I feel recharged again'-"

Jieun faltered, as she tried to get a grip of herself.

"I guess I was to her what she was to me. We were that close, I really loved that girl. The night continued as we binge-watched movies till about 2am. It was late, but we couldn't stop. And then... and then..."

Jieun's voice faded away, as she was overwhelmed with grief once more.

"And then?" Jungkook probed, but he didn't sound intrusive. He seemed like he was egging her on, patiently, as if it was for her sake, and not his.

"And then-" Jieun took a deep breath, struggling to finish her sentence. "And then we got hungry, we both felt like eating some ramen. Which would have been fine if I hadn't- I hadn't-"

"You hadn't?"

"I hadn't-" Jieun's voice cracked for the billionth time. "If I hadn't-"

Jieun sobbed as she clutched her head in her hands, crouching to the ground. This part was always the hardest - it was so hard on the first time telling the psychologist what had happened, what more now, when she was talking directly to the victim's brother - especially since he was the one she had been pining for over the past 4 months?

"Hey, it's okay," Jungkook spoke gently, bending down and holding her. "It's alright if you don't wanna say it."

What? Jieun looked up at Jungkook. How on earth was he this calm? Even after hearing that she was responsible, how could he still treat her with so much warmth and kindness and-