The Blackout

"Jimin, can we please just-" Yoojung started, but only to get cut off before she could finish again.

"I'm done with these." Jimin stood up, a whole stack of newspaper strips in his hands. He passed it to Yoojung without even looking her in the eye. "Could you please settle the glue and pass it to Minhyun?"

"Jimin, wait-"

"Minhyun-" Jimin headed towards the door, totally ignoring Yoojung. "I'm done with my job. Gonna head to the to the toilet real quick."

Yoojung's face fell. Now Jimin was talking to her, but the way he spoke was distant. Since when did he ever use the word "please"? Yoojung's heart sank.

Taehyung seemed to have caught on that something wasn't right, his eyes trailing after Jimin after he left the room.

"Minhyun! I need to use the restroom as well, I'll be back real quick." Taehyung jumped up from his seat, shoving the plastic bottles he had in his hands to Jennie, who was sitting next to him. He ran out of the room, totally ignoring the angry shouts of an irritated Jennie.

The friendship was falling apart. It was over. And it was all her fault. Yoojung mechanically stirred the glue in the bowl over and over again, not hearing Minhyun calling her name several times until Doyeon walked over and waved a hand in front of her face.

"Yoojung!"

Yoojung jumped.

"I'm sorry, I blanked out for a few seconds right there. What's up?"

"We're going to the bookshop to grab more supplies for a bit." Doyeon gestured towards Minhyun. "Are you done with the glue? Minhyun wants you to coat the newspaper strips in the glue mixture while we're gone."

"Sure."

Minhyun and Doyeon headed out of the classroom, shutting the door behind them. Yoojung sat back down, continuing the task that Minhyun had just assigned her.

It was only Jennie and her in the classroom, and for once, it was awfully quiet. If Yoojung was told a month ago that there would come a day when Jennie and Yoojung could sit in a room together without trying to kill each other, Yoojung would never have believed it. But there they were, Jennie's back facing Yoojung, both focused on their own tasks, not talking - but more importantly, not fighting.

But suddenly, the lights went out.

It took Yoojung three whole seconds to figure out what was happening when the lights in the room went out, the aircon stopped and she heard a loud shriek from Jennie across the room. The room was badly lit and ventilated, with only small windows at the top of the room.

"OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING?!" Jennie yelled. "CHOI YOOJUNG!"

"I'm here, Jennie Kim." Compared to Jennie, Yoojung was extremely calm. "It's just a power shortage, no need to freak out."

"HOLD ME! HOLD ME!" Jennie was not getting any more calm. "I HATE THE DARK - GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Yoojung tried hard not to laugh. Jennie Kim? That fearless maniac of a girl? Scared of the dark? It was hard to believe. "Chill, girl. It's just the dark."

"OMG CHOI YOOJUNG I SWEAR-" Jennie shrieked. Yoojung was sure she heard something that sounded like a wail. "P-Please. I'll do anything you want if you help me get out of here right now."

"I'm on it." Yoojung laughed, groping her way around in the dark, trying to make her way towards Jennie. The idea of Jennie owing her one sure sounded great.

"Faster-" Jennie sniffled. At this point, Yoojung was sure she was crying. "Please-"

Finally, Yoojung got hold of a hand and Jennie grabbed on tightly to her. She was trembling.