Pretense

"Anyway, where's Jennie today?" Yoojung asked Doyeon as they were walking back to class after lunch.

"I honestly have no idea," Doyeon shrugged. "Usually if she purposely skips school, she'd tell me beforehand; if she's actually sick or has something on, she'd give me a call in the morning..." Doyeon frowned. "But... nothing. Not a single call."

"Really?" Yoojung frowned. "Have you tried calling her?"

"I did... but she didn't pick up..." Doyeon furrowed her eyebrows. "I even tried her house phone too. No response. Her parents probably left for work."

That was truly worrying. Jennie was always on her phone. She was like... never seen without it. The chances that she didn't pick up her phone were literally close to zero- no, literally zero. Did something happen?

"Mr Kim asked me about her earlier too," Doyeon continued. "It seems like no one knows about her whereabouts."

"I'm sure she has a reason. She's probably fine..." Yoojung pursed her lips, trying to calm herself down. "Maybe tomorrow she'll be back in school, perfectly fine."

"But this has never happened."

Yoojung remained silent for a while. "You know where she lives, don't you?"

Doyeon nodded slowly.

"Do you think maybe we could go visit her after school today?"

"Visit who?" Taehyung popped his head between the two, surprising them.

Yoojung rolled her eyes. "None of your business."

"Yoojung-ah~~" Taehyung said cutely.

"It's Jennie. Jennie Kim. You wanna come along?" Yoojung teased.

Taehyung raised his eyebrows. "As much as how over I am with my crush on her, I believe that it's better that I don't go."

Taehyung lagged behind once again.

Yoojung spotted Jimin, walking quietly next to Taehyung. "Jimin, wanna come along?"

"Where to?"

"Jennie's house."

Jimin thought for a while. "Alright, I guess." Jimin hesitated. "Wait- I should probably be studying-"

"Urgh, it's just a short visit!" Yoojung exclaimed. "And do friendships matter more... or grades?"

"Well... to be fair, both are rather important-"

"Jimi-"

"Okay, fine," Jimin relented.

Yoojung's face broke into a huge grin. "Call. Immediately after school. Jieun-" Yoojung turned to look at Jieun at the back of the pack, who was walking silently next to Jungkook. "Never mind," she said to herself with a smile.

They finally reached back to class. The class was rather empty - only Yoongi and Byulyi were around. Yoongi was busy, as usual, taking a nap. Meanwhile, Byulyi had her earpieces on, listening to music.

"Byulyi!" Taehyung exclaimed as he sat back down down in his seat and turned to face her. "What are you doing here?"

Byulyi took off her earpieces, looking up at Taehyung. She smiled. "Oh, you guys are back."

"Why didn't you go for lunch?" Taehyung frowned. "I thought... my bro said you guys reconciled."

"We did..." Byulyi said slowly, smiling awkwardly, "But going for lunch with the two of them is kind of..." She pursed her lips. "You know..."

Uncomfortable.

Taehyung nodded, with look of complete understanding. Awkward?"

Byulyi forced a laugh. "Well... I guess- yeah."

Taehyung frowned. "Won't you be hungry though? We still have like two hours left of school... I'd be starving if I were you."

"Nah, it's fine-"

Byulyi's stomach growled.

She chuckled, clutching her tummy. "Oops."

Taehyung frowned, letting out a sigh. "This won't do. I tell you what, after school today, I'll treat you to a good meal."

Byulyi gasped. "No, I can't possibly-"

Taehyung frowned. "Are you really rejecting my kind offer right now? You know it's really rude to do so- You think I can't afford it or something?"

"No, I-" Byulyi spluttered frantically. "I didn't mean to be-"

"I'm just joking," Taehyung chuckled, before his face became serious again. "But really, accept it. It's my brother's fault you lost a lunch buddy anyway. So, in his stead, I shall make it up to you today."

"But-"

"Eh?"

Byulyi's face slowly broke into a smile. "Fine."

Taehyung smiled. "It is on, then."

"Thanks... Taehyung." Byulyi said gratefully.

"Don't mention it."

Taehyung smiled at Byulyi, but before he turned around, he saw Jisoo and Seokjin walking into the classroom, looking all lovey-dovey.

"So where shall we go today?" Taehyung overheard Jisoo ask Seokjin excitedly.

"Anywhere's fine," Seokjin replied. "As long as you like it."

Taehyung watched as Byulyi's eyes darted around before shoving her earpieces back into her ears.

Jisoo beamed. "Ah... there's this new restaurant I really wanna go to..."

"Sure," Seokjin walked past Byulyi, trying to make eye contact, but Byulyi was looking intensely at her worksheet, trying hard not to be noticed.

As Seokjin frowned and took his seat next to Jisoo, Taehyung saw something fall out of Byulyi's pocket.

The earpiece cable - unplugged.

She wasn't listening to anything all this while.