"Thank you" he breathlessly said glancing at me who was lying beside him. His gaze really was so gentle but at the same time it penetrates my heart causing my heart to skip a beat.

"Wh- what for?" I asked stuttering after I finally find my breath.

"Just for making me laugh out loud."

I smiled. We then looked at the sky whose color is slowly changing. The blue color of the sky looked like it was slowly being brushed away by the orange color with a dust of pink and purple.

Trying to stand up I say, "We should go home now. It's getting late."

"Yeah" Eustace said while trying to stand up too. I have to admit, it was kind of amusing seeing this chubby boy trying to get up.

"But can we walk out of the park together?" he asked.

"Sure"

We walked silently together while I looked up the sky admiring how the color is changing. I turned my head to the boy walking beside me and he too was looking up the sky smiling as if thanking the sky for giving him something pleasant.

"By the way," I broke the silence, "why did you cry?"

He sighed and stopped his step before turning to me.

"Why do you have to remind me about it?" he asked with a little smirk at the end, and then continuing his walk. "It's embarrassing!" He smiled shyly hanging his head down.

"Embarrassing? Because a boy just cried? Pfft" I smirked. "Anyone can cry you know. Even a boy." I continued, "but it's okay if you don't want to tell me." I smiled and then continue to walk leaving Eustace who stood still and was looking down behind me.

"I was bullied," he suddenly said causing me to stop and turn around to look at him. He continued, "I was bullied because of my name and because I'm fat. They say a foreigner is not welcome in my school. So they treat me like I'm an alien."

I was surprised and felt kind of guilty for making him say it because it must have took a lot of courage to talk about his problem exposing his weakness - which i didn't see as a weakness - to someone he just knew.

"Then they're stupid," I said.

"What?" the surprised Eustace asked.

"I mean..your name is actually cool! And being fat - I think you're not fat. It's just that you're more blessed...with those chubby cheeks!" I chuckled and he laughed. "Plus you can always lose your weight later. Don't let them make you feel less confident."

He started smiling again.

"Thank you for cheering me up."

We continued to walk until we reach the road where we had to part.

"Let's meet again at the park tomorrow!" Eustace exclaimed smiling widely.

"Sure!" I answered. "Good bye for now. See you tomorrow!" We waved goodbye to each other and parted.

That day was the start of our friendship. Since then, we came to the park almost everyday after school for about a year. But that was not all! Our feelings developed into something that our naive mind could not define.

"I like you, Haewon!" Eustace confessed one day when we were already in grade 6.

I remember my cheeks turning red as I was blushing and replied, "I like you too, Eustace!"

Nonetheless, we never claimed one another as girlfriend or boyfriend of each other. We just continued our friendship as normal. Maybe because we just didn't really understand what we feel for each other.

We spend our time together until one day Eustace told me one autumn day after we graduated from elementary that he was going to continue his studies abroad. Besides, his parents were starting up a new business there since their business here didn't work well.

"Wait for me here next year, this month on the last Saturday of the month." I was holding back my tears.

"And don't forget to wear this ring." He handed me a ring made of twig. "I made it myself," he said proudly and continued, "And look! I have one too," he said with a smile while showing another similar ring. "This way you will still recognize me in case...- you know - I get slimmer in a year." He raised his eyebrows twice while looking at me with a smirk and then chuckled.

I can't help but to giggle too. However, the tears I have been holding in find its way out at the same time. I knew we were going to be separated only for a year. But for the young me, that seems like a long time.

Cupping my face and wiping my tears with his thumb ever so gently, he said, "Don't cry. I promise I'll be back. It's only a year." He smiled hugging me afterwards. I only cried even more.

That day

I lost my best friend

That day

I felt like a void in my heart was formed.

That day

was the worst day ever!

Yet, it was also the sweetest day as I can feel his arms wrapped around me for the very first time while I hid myself in his pillowy body.