Chapter One

The cool, crisp autumn air whistled around me, gently tousling my ebony hair and swaying my clothes. Consequently, the post I was leaning against whilst awaiting the arrival of my best and only friend, Chris, was icy and uncomfortable against my back. Yet another reason for him to hurry the hell up: my trifling day at school had me on edge.

In annoyance, I allowed my eyes to flicker to the floor, avoiding the stares of passing students. My mood instantly brightened, however, when my pointed gaze fell upon a pretty flower. Finally, an excuse!

I removed my bag from my back hastily and unzipped it, bubbling over with excitement. Rummaging for a few seconds was enough for my fingers to brush against the cold material that had been abandoned all day, and I dragged my deep purple Polaroid camera out in triumph. I wasn't sure of its brand, nor did I care: it was my life.

My baby in my hands at last, I zipped up my bag and returned it to my back. I let my gaze linger on the beautiful flower a while longer, quietly admiring the gently swaying petals and the vibrant summery colours that were so perfectly out of place in the season of browns and oranges. Such a pretty sight!

I wasn't aware of its name, but this was very much a June flower. It's gently folded out petals that danced in the breeze were a rich royal blue, very flattering to the eye. They were cupped by two splendidly green leaves, pointed and bloomed to perfection. And attached to it all was the thick, juicy stem, starting out the greenest of greens at the top and fading to a more seasonally appropriate dirt brown as it reached the ground.

Still slightly dazed by the initial shock of the flower's beauty, I raised my camera and adjusted the settings after turning it on. I placed my finger on the shutter and felt my lips pursing in concentration as I moved the camera around, finding the perfect position.

When I was happy, I let my index finger press down on the shutter and reveled in the satisfying click as my camera focused and captured the glory in front of me. Excitement bubbled inside my stomach, eager to see the outcome.

I refrained from letting out a squeal when my picture slipped out of the designated slot reserved for this purpose. Standing with my back to the sun, I sheltered the blank canvas carefully with my hand and stood waiting for the image. Some idiots assumed that you needed to shake it for the image to develop, but that was never a good move. That destroyed it completely. I probably knew the science behind it, but I was in no mood to conjure it from the depths of my mind.

As the picture became clearer and my mood brightened considerably, I heard someone shout my name and jumped, not expecting the loud noise.

The picture slipped from my grasp and I squealed in alarm. At impossible speed, I threw my hand out to catch it before it fluttered to the muddy ground. Thankfully I didn't crumple it in my haste.

I turned in time to see my best friend reach me, breathless and flushed.

"Chris! You scared me!" I scolded, glaring at him pointedly.

"S-sorry!" Chris gasped out, his hands on his knees as he struggled to regain his composure. Like me, Chris wasn't exactly the fittest person in the world.

I sighed at him, shrugging out of my bag straps to put my camera away. When it was safely stowed in the depths of my school books, I stood waiting for Chris to pull himself together.

When he finally straightened up with a huff, I immediately shoved the Polaroid picture in his face. He narrowed his eyes and took a small step away to see it better.

"Taking more pictures I see," Chris observed, running his hand through his damp brown hair, "of flowers?" He snickered at this, letting his hand drop to grasp his bag strap.