The Gaffer's Quest

Start from the beginning

Herman smiled a weary smile.
"I reckon some sleep will do me brother and me a whole lot of good. Thanks Mister Pellus and don't worry, I'm gonna make sure this works. We'll get that Rubitar up if we kin find out where she went down."

"Let me worry about locating it," Pellus said scratching his chin, "I've got an idea myself on that matter. You just focus on recovering it."

"Will do, now which way to that bed?"

Even as Herman and Winnie bedded down for their much needed sleep, a dense gentle fog rolled along the cobbled streets of Seth-e-Raman

Even as Herman and Winnie bedded down for their much needed sleep, a dense gentle fog rolled along the cobbled streets of Seth-e-Raman. The mist took its silent course along the waterfront and up to the palace of King Sigus. Soon the castle was enshrouded, appearing from a distance to be sitting an a pillow of spun sugar.

Unseen in the white mist, four small clouds of brown smoke made their way into the palace grounds. They separated and found strategic locations in which to spy effectively on the beasts wishing to recover the Rubitar.

 They separated and found strategic locations in which to spy effectively on the beasts wishing to recover the Rubitar

Herman woke from his much needed sleep early the next morning. Pellus was as good as his word and with the help of King Sigus' palace guard, had set up the royal smithy as a workshop for the hedgehog, complete with all the materials that Herman would need.

Anxious to see the set-up and begin their work, Herman and Winnie opted to eat breakfast in the blacksmith shop. Pellus was happy to join them and was impressed to see that Herman had begun to convert the forge to suit his needs before the meal arrived. Winnie was mixing ingredients to his brother's specifications and smiled broadly when breakfast finally arrived. It was set on the shop's workbench with three stools. Pellus and Winnie sat down and began eating as Herman stoked up the furnace to heat during the meal. He was finally satisfied and sat down, gratefully shoveling eggs and potatoes into his ample mouth.

Pellus chuckled.
"I'm glad our breakfast agrees with you sir."

Herman spoke as he chewed.
"I ain't no sir, Mister Pellus, just call me Herman or Hermie and ta respond to yer observation, these are fine vittles, especially to a starvin' soul like meself."

"Is everything we prepared satisfactory?" the old wizard asked.

"Better'n I coulda hoped sir. Your helpers did a fine job. With a little bit of luck, me and Winnie should have everything we need to get that there stone back in the next coupla days." He wiped his mouth on the blacksmith apron he was wearing, "Have we had any luck figgerin' out how to locate the thing?"