I check my phone for the hundredth time since this morning and still no message from Dimitri. Wonder if he is yet again done with me. I shake my head attempting to displace my thoughts because his actions of late show no indication of that. But I cant help, but feel guarded because of last time. He's probably busy with the band I remind myself. They do after all have a concert tonight.

The memory of him calling me to tell me how the band was getting a record deal creep into my thoughts as I drive home.

~*~

"Skylar!" He sounds all breathless through the phone.

"You are never going to guess what just happened!"

"Hmmmm," I tap a finger on my lips.

I must have waited too long to guess because he blurts the surprise out, "Steel Wolf was just offered a record label!"

Excitement consumes me and I start to jump up and down, which was probably a bad idea since I was in the middle of the grocery store. Yet, who cares Dimitri's band now has a real shot at becoming famous. 

"Dimitri that's incredible! I'm so proud of you!" There was no hiding the squeal in my voice. "Y'all have been working so hard!"

"I know and all that hard work is finally starting to pay off. The minute we signed the contract all I could think about was calling you," a sadness starts to seep into his voice, "We are all going out to celebrate. I wish you were coming with."

"Me too. Maybe now you will finally have the money to come visit me." I joke.

"I hope so!"

"After all it is your turn. I came out and visited you a few years back."

"That you did."

I quickly change the subject back because I really don't want to go up that road too many hurt feelings. "You will still have fun tonight. You have a lot to celebrate!"

"That I do!" He pauses. "Skylar thank you for always having faith in me. Especially when I didn't."

"Of course, that's what friends are for." I almost choke on the word friends. Can't you see I'm still in love with you? That to me you are the one who got away. The one what if I have in my life.

He stops my thoughts in their tracks with his next statement. "I have to go my girl is calling me." The girlfriend. "I can't wait to tell her the good news!"

"I bet! Take care. Be safe tonight!"

"I will. Love you."

"Love you too." My I love you is very different then his, but not much I can do all the way over here

~*~

Can't believe three years have passed since they signed. In those three years the band has made it big. They mostly play for sold out venues. Whenever I go to the store, I see Dimitri's face plastered on t-shirts and posters.

Over the years I've listened to him talk about one girl after another and had to learn real quick to burry my true feelings. At the same time I also discovered I needed him in my life in some way or another. So, as he was seeing other people so was I, but neither of us seemed to have any luck making them last.

I've been through some tough relationships. I even got married my last year of college, but that was very short lived and during a period in time I wasn't talking with Dimitri.

After everything we have been through together our friendship has not only remand in tack, but also strong.

I pull into my driveway and turn the car off. Before I exit the vehicle, I grab my bag and sprint into the house. There was more traffic than I had expected and now I only have a half hour to get ready. Being late is something I despise.