The Assault Begins

Start from the beginning

"And you're really not worried that you'll be chosen next? If they take half a dozen at a toime, your odds of getting picked are way up."

"Don't allow myself to, can't, you know. The thing about luck is ya gotta have faith in it." He slapped the mole heartily on the back, "Don't you worry, stick with me and my luck will protect us both."

Egbert smiled.
"Better than your last cloient, I hope."

It was with considerable difficulty that the trapped Gleaners were removed from the pit

It was with considerable difficulty that the trapped Gleaners were removed from the pit. Those who had not been hurt in the fall were helped out and bound, but the majority of the Scarlet brothers sustained some form of injury, ranging from sprained joints to broken bones. Almost all bled from cuts and ached from bruises. A few, like Abbot Carr, were unconscious, having suffered an avalanche of bodies falling upon them. When the last of the prisoners was ready to move, Willum took the lead and shepherded his troops and their charges back across the rough terrain to the beach.

Once safely back at the Crimson Rose, the Gleaners were ordered to remove their robes and change into simple white smocks. The prisoners were then taken a few miles north to where an ancient slave-galley had run aground centuries before. The ship was in an excellent state of preservation, dry and solid. Below decks, where once lost souls were forced to toil and row, metal chains and shackles, barely rusted, still remained firmly attached to the floor planks of the shameful vessel. The Gleaners were marched to these decks and secured in the restraints, guarded under the watchful eye of Ursamus, whose massive size and fearful countenance terrified the Scarlet brothers, insuring there would be no attempt at escape. Their wounds were tended and they were fed and while many of the long-term castaways who had suffered at the paws of the Gleaners called for revenge, Willum would have none of it, reminding them that there was a greater prize at stake, their freedom.

 Their wounds were tended and they were fed and while many of the long-term castaways who had suffered at the paws of the Gleaners called for revenge, Willum would have none of it, reminding them that there was a greater prize at stake, their freedom

Back at the Rose, Ozab and his band picked through the discarded robes for uniforms which would fit them. Ozab alone had difficulty. He, as the leader of the squad, would have to wear Abbot Carr's vestments and was far broader in the chest than the now imprisoned weasel. Ophelia, a skilled seamstress, made quick work of adjusting the garment to the old mongoose's dimensions.