Seize the Day Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Please...?" Les added softly.

Suddenly, one of the scabs walked up to me, standing pretty close to me. He seemed like he was sticking his chest out, trying to seem tougher. He didn't really need to, though; he already had the height advantage.

After a minute of observing me, the scab backed up a little. "I'm with ya!" He yelled before slamming down his stack of papers. The newsies cheered behind us as both me and Jack did a spit shake with the new comer.

Davey approached the other two scabbers. "Now is the time to seize the day."

"Now is the time to seize the day." The newsies echoes, gathering around.

"Answer the call and don't delay."

"Wrongs will be righted if we're united. Let us seize the day." All of us sang. After a second, one of the scabs threw down his papers.

The newsies cheered as the third scabber stepped forwards. "You're kidding me, right?"

"At the end of the day, who are you going to trust? Them," The second scab said, gesturing to us. "Or them?" He asked, gesturing to Weasel and the Delanceys as he threw his sack towards them before joining our group.

Jack was getting pumped up, and we was everyone else, including me. "Now let 'em heat it loud and clear." He sang.

The newsboys echoed him. "Now let 'em year it loud and clear."

I stepped forwards, getting into the scabbers face. "Like it or not, we're drawing near."

"Like it or not, we're drawing near."

"Proud and defiant." We all sang together. "We'll slay the giant. Judgement day is here."

The scab sighed. "Oh, what the hell. My father's gonna kill me anyway!" He slammed down his papers and joined us.

"Houston to Harlem, look what's begun! One for all and all for one!" We sang before we started chanting. "Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Oh...STRIKE!"

All the newsies were fired up now. Suddenly one of the Delanceys came at Jack, swinging a punch. Jack dodged and threw one of his own. They fought for a little bit before Morris went over and grabbed Les, dragging him away.

The boy kicked, resisting. "Davey! Jack! Pockets! Help me! Put me down!"

All the newsies surrounded the brothers. They threw punches at one another before Les finally got away. I pulled him close to me while I watched the Delancey brothers run off.

"Now is the time to seize the day." The newsies started singing again. "Their gonna see there's hell to pay. Nothing can break us; no one can make us quit before we're done! One for all and all for...one for all and all for...one for all and all for one!" We all threw our fists in the air. Denton rushed over with a large camera, taking a picture with a blinding flash.

Jack and I approached Denton and he looked up at us. "This story is getting front page. Without a doubt."

My brother nodded. "Just make sure you get the names right. Ja-"

"Jack Kelly." Denton cut off. "And Pockets."

"Tatum." I said smiling at Denton. "Jack and Tatum Kelly, union leaders."

Denton gave me a smile before rushing off with his camera. Jack turned to me and patted my shoulder, a proud look on his face.

The newsies started singing again, Jack and myself joining them. "Newsies forever, second to none. One for all and all for one! One for..."

Our singing trailed off as we saw a large group of people walk in, dressed in navy blue uniforms; the bulls. They were joined by the Delanceys and Weasel.

"The bulls!" Jack yelled.

We all ran towards the gates, only to be blocked by the group of people.

"It's time these kids learn a lesson." Weasel said, a smirk on his face.

I sighed before yelling to the group gathered around me. "Newsies!" I waited, seeing as everyone tensed up, clearly hearing me. "Get 'em!"

The newsies and the bulls rushed each other, attacking. Some of the fellas stayed behind, throwing large and heavy stacks of papers at the bulls.

I was suddenly shoved by a bull, causing me to fall to the ground. I glanced up just as a fist was connected to my cheekbone. Pain shot through the right side of my face and I winced.

"Well well well, if it isn't Miss Tatum Kelly." The bull said though gritted teeth. "I remember chasing you that day you little rat. Almost tore something in my leg. This is payback, you little-"

Before the man could finish, he was tackled to the ground by one of the other newsies. I scrambled to my feet and rushed over only to see Race get socket in the eye. I pushed the guy off of the blonde boy before helping Race up and rushing away.

A whistle blew, scaring the living daylight out of me. Everyone stopped fighting and looked over to the source of the noise. I froze when I saw who had made the noise; Snyder.

"It's about time you got here." Romeo said, walking up to the man. I forgot most of the boys don't know what Snyder looks like, seeing as they never had a problem with him before. "They're slaughtering us!"

In one quick motion, Snyder lifts his hand and smack Romeo hard across the face. The boy flew to the ground from shock as the bulls attacked again. They got the upper hand, seeing as they took most of the boys by surprise.

Race rushed me towards the gates, away from the fighting. Most of the newsies were retreating, going out any exit they could find. I heard shouting behind me, but I tried to block it out. Race kept his hand on my lower back, guiding me out and away from the distribution center.

I hope Jack is alright. I thought.

Word Count: 1557