Chapter 6 - Visions

Trent

After I picked up the scent of the Devil Claws, I searched the property and alerted the pack. We determined that the trespassers were no longer here and gathered at the lodge for a debriefing. The girls showed up soon after. Thea entered the room and walked past me, avoiding direct eye contact. The air moved around her, filling my senses with her sweet scent. It was as if a sugar-sprinkled meadow clung to her skin and it fed my unyielding lust to claim her. I imagined pulling her close and running my tongue along her neck to find out if she tasted as good as she smelled. My fingers could almost feel her flawless skin beneath their hungry touch. Conversation buzzed around me, but my mind was busy feeling it's way up Thea's thighs, reaching the warm center of her —

"What do you mean, you had a vision of the end?" Jack asks the little ghost woman.

Shaking my head in an attempt to dissolve the searing mental pictures, I refocus my attention on the woman sitting next to Thea on the sofa. "A vision of the future," she mumbles. Her dark hair shields her face from view.

Thea grabs her hand and looks over at Jack. "Seri saw the Firstborns gain control of the Veil."

Everly takes a seat on the coffee table. "But the only way that could happen is if ..."

Fuck.

"We're destroyed," Bel supplies. She's leaning against the wall with her arms hugging her body as if she's afraid she'll fall apart at any second.

Caylin steps forward and kneels in front of Seri. "Maybe, if you tell us what you saw, we can prevent it from happening."

Seri's yellow eyes peek out of her shade of hair. "I don't think that's how this all works."

"Regardless," Jack interjects. "We need to know what we're facing. What did you see?"

The room takes a collective breath before Seri begins, "I didn't see details, Jack. There were no specifics, just flashes of images. I saw each of us girls running from something. We'd look over our shoulder with fear on our faces. Then, one at a time, we fell to the ground — dead. After the last one, fire swept through the mountains. The spawn of the Firstborn revealed themselves to the humans and preceded to kill and destroy all of civilization."

"What was the order?" Micah asks from his position near the fireplace.

Seri's head jerks in his direction. "Order of what?"

Micah pushes off the wall and walks further into the room. "Of your deaths."

She stares at him for a few seconds before replying, "Why does it matter?"

I grit my teeth in frustration. "Because, if we know the sequence you girls may die, we can do our best to stop whatever it is from taking you out."

Seri hesitates and looks down at her fingers, picking at the skin around her nails. "You don't understand the burden of knowing your fate."

Thea places her delicate palm over Seri's restless hands. "It's okay, Ser. Just tell us who was the first to die."

Slowly, Seri's gaze travels up to meet Thea's. She doesn't say anything, but her stare speaks volumes.

"Oh," Thea breathes. "It was m-me?"

"I'm sorry, Thea." Seri whispers.

My gut feels like it's taken a punch from a suped-up ogre on steroids. I look at Thea's expression as she swallows her emotion and puts the mask of her trademark sunshine-optimism. "It's going to fine, Seri. This is a good thing. Your gift is going to help us. Right, everyone?" She looks at our group, lifting her brows in expectation.

Scattered, half-hearted affirmations echo throughout the room.

Thea's eyes meet mine and something inside me breaks. A hold I've tethered down and tried to restrain until my tight grip has caused ripping and tearing to my soul — to my wolf. I let it go. She's mine. Thea is my mate and I'm done denying that fact to her and to myself.

Discussion erupts as everyone tries to voice their opinion on how to handle the situation. But it all becomes white noise. My pulse pounds in my ears accompanied by a faint percussion. The two beats play in tandem until they begin to overlap. Within a minute, the rhythmic noise becomes one.

I stand up with the sudden urgency to hold her. This foreign feeling scratches its way to the surface, stuttering my stride as I move to comfort her. Thea's eyebrows scrunch together when she takes in my disjointed steps.

Bev blocks my path before I reach my mate and I'm jerked back into the present. "I think the girls need to move into the lodge," she announces. "It may only be temporary, but you five need to stay close to the Magic Spring and close to the pack. Plus," she shrugs. "I selfishly need you close to me."

Charlie leans forward in his chair. "I think that's a wise decision. But it's not ours to make. Girls?"

We watch as the Elementals use their mind-link to telepathically communicate. However, facial expressions give away their frustrations.

Bel launches out of the room and Everly chases after her.

Caylin speaks for the group,"We'll take you up on your offer, Bev. Thank you."

"Okay," Jack begins. "I want Mason and Danny to take the girls to get a few of their things. Y'all stay together and be quick."

Thea walks with the group as they leave the den. My pace picks up again with intent to seize her.

"Trent," Jack's voice registers in my head.

I look over at him. "Huh?" My mouth is dry. Parched with a need only Thea can quench.

"You, Micah and Zeke need to go pay a visit to the Devil Claws. Find out what they were doing here." His eyes burrow into mine. "Leave an impression. Understood?"

I nod my head. "Yes, sir."