Chapter 3: Sun Salutation

To wreck, to wreck, to wreck
Did I build this ship to wreck?
-Ship to Wreck, FLO

Thea

"Now, tickle Sun's morning rays with your fingers," CeCe encourages. "Inhale and stretch your arms up over your head and visualize her light soaking into your skin." The Native Mystic's calm and quiet voice massages my mind as we go through our daily yoga and meditation.

Taking a deep breath, I do as I'm instructed. Lifting my hands up towards the sky, I try to imagine golden beams entering my body.

Only, I feel nothing.

Cracking my eyelids, I glimpse at the other girls. We are standing in a circle atop a hill overlooking the valley below. Nature has been painted with shades of green and pops of bright, candy-colored hues. Across from me, Caylin looks like a serene goddess with her rosy-copper hair practically sparkling in the warm, spring breeze. The corners of her lips tilt up with expressed amusement. Without-a-doubt, the fire within her is reveling in our task.

Seri is posed next to Caylin and, by the scowl on her face, is not enjoying the sunshine at all. Neither is Bel who is wearing a racerback tank-top with her thoughts printed on the front, "I Hate Yoga." Everly, on the other hand, is a picture of peace and contentment with her arms lifted high.

How does she make this look so easy?

I am brought out of my pondering by a swift slap to my forehead. "OW! Dang it, CeCe!" Bringing my hand to my stinging skin, I stare at the medicine woman in disbelief. "What the heck was that for?"

"Choose your thoughts, Thea." She steps away, her long, billowing dress surrounding her like a cloud. "Stop observing what's happening around you."

Frustration seizes my throat. "I'm trying."

CeCe turns and looks at me. "That's the problem, Young One." She snorts. "Stop trying and surrender. Quit focusing on those around you and push the thoughts that are cluttering your soul out of your mind."

My teeth clench together and I walk away with a huff of exasperation. Ignoring the calls from Bel and the other girls, my feet continue marching through the tree-line until I'm standing on the other edge of the hill. Giant boulders bulge from the earth, overlapping and jutting out above the river-valley below.

Plopping down on an oversized rock, I rest my elbows on my knees and drop my head in despair.

How can I just turn my brain off?

A snap of a twig alerts me that I'm no longer alone. I look over my shoulder in time to see Everly step through the trees. "You alright?" her voice tight with concern.

"No," I growl.

"What's going on, Thea?" She strides over and hands me my yellow Birkenstocks. In my hurry to escape, I forgot my shoes. "Is it Jack? You know ... no one expected you to heal him right away."

I put on my sandals and scoff. "Yes, they did. I saw the hope in everyone's eyes after that first healing session and after every session since. I feel the fear and disappointment. It's the same way we all felt the night I couldn't heal you."

Everly sits next to me and grabs my hand. "Thea, I was gone. You couldn't have healed me. Don't carry that guilt with you. Besides, I'm here. Jack is here. And you're helping him."