Chapter 2: Broken Heart Brownies

You are right, I'll move on
But my lungs feel so small
I couldn't breathe if I tried
I lay my head on the floor
My beating heart wanted more
But I'll keep it in and keep you out
-OMAM, Hunger

You are right, I'll move onBut my lungs feel so smallI couldn't breathe if I triedI lay my head on the floorMy beating heart wanted moreBut I'll keep it in and keep you out-OMAM, Hunger

A plastic bottle zooms across the room and explodes against the large picture window. Water cascades down, rippling the view of the green-tipped mountains below.

"It's no use!" Jack yells in frustration. "I'm never getting out of this damned chair."

"Jack, don't say that," Bev consoles. "You've made so much progress. Right, Thea?"

Startled to hear my name, I struggle to respond around my chocolate-laden cheeks. "A-Absolutely." I mumble, trying not to choke on the melted goodness.

"It's been months, Bev. We have to accept the facts. This may be as good as it gets." Jack's head drops and he rubs his forehead.

"Dad," Zeke intervenes, crouching down in front of his father's wheel chair. "You broke your back. These sessions with Thea have gotten you out of this chair. Maybe not completely. But you're getting better."

Jack lifts his gaze to Zeke. The months since his injury have left the White River Pack Alpha discouraged. Wearing sweatpants, a t-shirt, and a scruff of facial hair, the man is a shadow of his former self. "You have to take over."

"What?" Zeke flinches, as if his father's words have hit him.

"How the hell am I supposed to be Alpha from a chair, Son?"

Zeke shakes his head. "No."

Jack slams his hands down onto the arms of the chair. "Dammit, Zeke. Your uncle is out their working with those hybrid bastards. Their scheming — looking for any weakness they can use to get control of the Veil. What's a greater weakness than a deficient Alpha?"

Swallowing my candy, I step forward, wishing I had Bel's empathy gift to ease the tension. "Jack, I know it's been a slow progress, but I'm confident if we keep—"

"You're doing amazing, Thea." Jack looks at me, his eyes strained with mounting frustration. "Sweetheart, I appreciate everything you've done. But this is a decision that's best for my pack."

The energy in the lodge's gym has grown apprehensive.  Zeke stands and moves away from the makeshift physical therapy area and walks to the windows that line the far wall. "What about Charlie?"

"Charlie and I have already talked about this. With the recent attacks, we need to help the Elementals protect the Veil. If those assholes get control of all magic, they'll go after the humans and destroy everything."