Chapter 5 - Cupcakes and Chaos

Thea

Bel groans as she picks-up the overflowing bus tub. "Remind me again why you volunteer our shop for these group meetings."

I add another discarded cupcake wrapper to my tray and laugh at her annoyance. "It was a book club, Bel. I think this is an appropriate location for them to meet." Moving to the next table, I watch Bel's face scrunch up in disgust. "What's wrong? You usually love these events."

Scoffing at my claim, Bel rants as she continues collecting soiled napkins and coffee cups. "Just another group of sexually repressed women discussing a poorly written romance novel in which the hero is a bad boy billionaire with a shady past and a kink in the bedroom." Moving about the room, my sister continues her protest. "Oh, and let's not forget that the heroine is as vanilla as the cupcakes you served tonight. But, here's the kicker — she's oblivious of her own beauty. Blah. Blah. Blah. I'd rather pluck my eyes out with a fork then read that garbage." A familiar figure walks past the window toward the shop door. "Shit!" Bel gasps. "I'm not here." She shoves her backside against the kitchen door and disappears just as the soft jingle of the old, brass, shopkeepers bell sounds.

"Hello, Thea," Calvin greets. Pushing his dark-rimmed glasses up his narrow nose, the mousy-haired man grips the strap of his worn leather satchel and awkwardly steps forward. "Is Bel around?"

The leaning tower of empty mugs and crumb-sprinkled plates clatter when I deposit my tray
on the counter. "Hi, Calvin. You just missed her."

His gaze travels toward the still-swinging kitchen door. "Right." With dejected eyes, he looks back at me and asks, "Do you need any help?" Calvin drops his bag and grabs a few dirty plates off of a coffee table. "These cupcakes look delicious."

Bless his heart. I've lost track of how long he has been pinning for my sister. Months? A year? And during all that time, Bel has never expressed her interest. In fact, she has communicated her indifference quite loudly. But nevertheless, Calvin persists. He shows up and debates books with her and helps out whenever we need an extra hand delivering orders or, in this case, cleaning up.

"Thanks, Cal." I begin wiping down the counter, watching him as he continues to collect dirty dishes and then grabs the broom to sweep. Curiosity grips me. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," he responds without looking up.

"Why do you keep trying?"

Calvin stops and faces me, his expression twisted with confusion. "Trying what?"

A laugh bubbles from my mouth. "Come on, Cal! You know what I'm talking about. Your not-so-subtle attempt to get Bel to like you."

Color rushes to Calvin's cheeks. "Oh ... that."

"Not that my sister isn't worth it," I reason. "She's amazing. But ... don't you get tired of the ... rejection?"

Calvin's brows scrunch together and he takes a deep breath before continuing to sweep. "Did you know that Stephen King was rejected over thirty times for his first novel? Even Bel's precious J.K. Rowling was denied publishing at least a dozen times."

Confused by his train of thought, I try to explain, "I'm just saying, if she's not interested in you now, she may never be interested later. Why torture yourself?"