•14•

"Where do you want to go?"

"I don't know? The Rose Garden? Let's have some tea there"

Athy smiled softly yet her eyes were filled with sadness. It was painful for Lucas to watch the princess pretending to be alright although she was cursed.

"Let's tell the maids to prepare some"

He told a maid nearby and sent her off to the kitchen. Then he walked with Athy to the Garden. He could have teleported there but every moment with Athanasia was precious so he wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

"Have you heard the news? Apparently princess is losing her memories and the emperor is busy with finding the one responsible for that. Now is your chance to assassinate his little girl!"

The Duke ordered the assassin to kill Athanasia because if she died than it would break Claude. And if that happened than it would be easy to finish him off. The only one in the empire who could inherit the throne was him since his family was once part of the royal family.

"Understood. I'm the best assassin in the empire. It'll be easy to kill a spoiled little girl. But the price is high"

"Don't worry. Once I'm the Emperor then I'll reward you. Now go"

"The cakes are delicious. I especially love the one with chocolate!"

"How can you eat that many cakes? You eat them everyday. Aren't you ever sick of sweets?"

"That, my dear Lucas, will never ever happen!"

Athy was munching the cakes happily and that alone made Lucas happy too. He wanted to stay like that. Just a little longer. It was weird. If it was another person then he would get bored and get rid of that person. He would do anything for her. As long as she would smile at him. It was a weird feeling but it ... was a happy one? He couldn't put it into words. Didn't people have that feeling sometimes? What was it called? ...love?? No that was impossible. He was Lucas! He couldn't love anyone and nobody would love him.

"What are you thinking about? It seems to bother you"

"W-what are you t-talking about? It's not bothering me at all!"

He felt his face getting hot. Was he sick? Wait... was he blushing? Just because of what she said? Nah, that was impossible.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. You shouldn't be worried about me. It's supposed to be the other way around"

"But still. I mean we're friends so of course I'm also worried about your wellbeing"

Friend? That was the first time that anybody has called him a friend. Normally they would call him monster, evil wizard or murderer. Athy was only able to call him a friend because she didn't know what he had done to some people. But he didn't want her to find out.