Chapter Two.

Chapter Two:

             The next morning as I was huddled uncomfortably in my bed from yet again, another sleepless night, my phone started to ring with that god awful tone. The last thing I wanted to do was talk on the phone right now but I sucked it up and let out a small groan as my hand smacked around on the table to try and find it.

         When I finally wrapped my hand around it’s familiar shape, I brought it up to my ear and tried to sound as awake as I possibly could.

            “Yes?” I asked, my voice more raspy than I’d assumed it to be.

            “Sophia. It’s Lenora. I just needed to give you a call to inform you of a slight issue. It’s nothing to worry about, but it might make this process a little longer.”

            Of course there had to be an issue. When has my life ever gone smoothly when I wanted it to? It’s like I can’t just do one damn thing without someone or something getting in the way of it. God, I can’t stand my life sometimes.

            “What is it?”

            Sitting up more in bed, I leaned over to turn on the light. 

            “Justin is refusing to sign the papers. His attorney called me earlier this morning to inform me of this but don’t worry, this happens more than you think it does. It might take a little longer but we’ll get there eventually.”
            “Wait, he refused?”

            My heartstrings were tugged on with so much force in that exact moment that I literally thought it would fall completely down into my stomach. He refused. Does that mean he still isn’t over me? Even if he isn’t over me, why do I still care? I shouldn’t care. I should just want him to stay out of my life forever but after yesterday when I signed that sheet of paper I had the worst feeling in my entire chest that hasn’t gone away yet.  

            “Yes. But like I just said, don’t worry. Everything will be sorted out eventually.”

            “R-right.” I stuttered, immediately getting out of bed. “Thank you for letting me know Lenora.”

            “Anytime.”

            Throwing on a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt, I wandered out into the kitchen to get some breakfast and thankfully Katherine happened to walk through the front door with her arms loaded full of groceries. I have no idea what time it is but I’m pretty sure it has to be late in the afternoon from how late I’ve stayed up. It doesn’t surprise me though because I’ve been staying up for the past year now. That’s just how my schedule has been and I don’t think I’ll ever sleep regularly through the night again.

            “Let me help.” I laughed softly and grabbed a paper bag from her hands so I could set it down onto the counter and sort through it.

            If I told Katherine the conversation Lenora and I just had then she would just try to prove her theory more to me and that’s something I didn’t want to hear right now. I still don’t know what any of this means and the feelings I’m having aren’t explainable to me right now. These past two months I haven’t been thinking about him as much as I once was and that gave me some sort of reassurance that this was the right thing to do but after these past couple of days I just don’t know anymore. I think I need to take some time and figure out my feelings myself before I tell her I’m thinking twice about the decision I made.