Chapter Eight

{love and loss}

As the bodies of the beloved return their matter to the earth, their souls, ageless since birth return to the void. Hoseok let his feet tread lightly over the soil that supported the untouched wands of green grass, until he was there, his eyes resting over her name, his heart hearing the sounds of her voice as if she were right there with him. Perhaps it was the memories that were the real bridge, that sense of love, a key to open doors into the world beyond life. Yet here he was in front of Daisy's grave, these moments of reflection being their everlasting bond. 

With heavy weighing memories, Hoseok let the cold morning breeze entangle itself through his tousled orange locks, whistling through his ears like a timeless melody. Bending over, Hoseok sat himself in the grass, resting himself in front of Daisy's grave. It was a touching sight. Golden hour had set in, the rays of the sun casting their final breaths of warmth over Hoseok's tanned skin as he settled his gaze on the sight before him. 

With an outstretched arm, Hoseok let out a tired sigh as he rested a single white flower upon the grave where she lay. Hoseok chuckled, a sad chuckle as he ran a hand through his hair, "You would've laughed if you knew I was going to bring a daisy flower to your grave." he spoke, a soft smile resting over his lips as he rested his palms against the fresh grass, "You would've found it so cringe." he giggled, lips scrunching up in distaste as he watched the daisy petals flutter against the wind. He paused for a moment, taking in the scenery before sucking in a breath of fresh air, "But it only seemed fitting." he breathed. 

At first, daisies were nothing but a simple flower, no larger than a stamp... but these were anything but. They were bright enough to rival the sun, sherbet orange centres and blushed petals. They were but the mere size of a weed, but speckled the lawn with such beauty, perfume nothing like the sweet cloying scent of a rose, but rather unbashful and tart, cutting through the air as easily as a lemon. Hoseok had taken a liking to the flower.

In the soft breeze if Daisy was a flower, then he was the grass, her dance partner, both of them free and together. 

Biting down on his lower lip, Hoseok cast his gaze to the sky, "I'm sorry." he whispered, lips trembling as he watched the white cotton clouds float over the blue expanse above, "I really wish we could've been through more together," his lips rose into a small and sombre smile, "we'll meet again sometime," he chuckled, "In another life maybe, i'm sure of it." Slipping a hand into the pocket of his baggy black pants, Hoseok slipped out a small box. It had received water damage, the corners blunt and tattered as it was illuminated by the light of the setting sun. Resting the small ring box on the grave sight, Hoseok rose to his feet, dusting himself off before giving one last smile towards his lover and walking off, back inside the cottage. 

-----

"Ouch!" Jungkook flinched, grimacing as a small needle pricked at his exposed shoulder. Watching the younger's reaction, Taehyung couldn't help but laugh. 

"You can take a kick to the stomach, but not a needle?" he chuckled, removing the needle from Jungkook's skin before bagging it up and placing it on the nearby bench. 

Jungkook rolled his eyes, bringing his hand to his shoulder as he began to rub at the irritated skin, "shut up." he murmured, turning away with a frown. Letting out a sigh, Taehyung handed back Jungkook's cotton t-shirt, watching as the brunette slid it back over his head and comfortably onto his form. 

Twisting his lips, Taehyung let out a sigh, "Sorry about this Kook, really." he muttered, taking a seat on the bed beside the younger. The mattress sunk under the both of them, knees brushing ever so slightly against one another. 

Lips twitching into a soft smile, Jungkook shook his head, "It's all for a good cause." he spoke, a hint of sadness laced throughout his tone that Taehyung didn't fail to pick up on. 

Taehyung knew Jungkook felt like a liability, like his only purpose at this very given moment was to provide humanity with answers for the hopes of creating a cure. Without this immunity, Jungkook should've been dead, and because of him, they had to travel through the city and turn against their camps, all of which lead to a gruesome end. But Taehyung knew that Jungkook was so much more then that. He was blinded so much by his need to be protected, that he'd forgotten about all the other times he'd protected the others. He was courageous, selfless and a perfect squadron leader. 

It was Jungkook who almost sacrificed himself at the gates of camp Beta, who single handedly saved Taehyung... who fought against the rebels alone. It was Jungkook who was first to step on the unstable scaffolding above the city, and Jungkook who was first to cross the wooden beam to make sure it was safe for everyone to follow. 

Taehyung smiled to himself, turning his gaze to the male beside him. To him, Jungkook was perfection, from his large doe eyes to the way his hair fell softly over his forehead. "Thank you Jungkook." Taehyung smiled, earning a raised brow from the brunette. Under the soft glow of the setting sun, Jungkook's skin looked like honey, so soft and smooth under the light of the golden hour. With parted lips, Taehyung rose a hand slowly and carefully, tucking a loose strand of hair from Jungkook's forehead and staring into his eyes, breathing became softer. 

If the eyes were the gateway into the soul, the lips were the same thing for the body. They were softness, passion and the promise of the sweetness to come. Eyes carefully trailing over Jungkook's features, Taehyung noticed his lips were a pale pink, like a rose bud. The top lip was thinner, but not too thin, and it had a natural cupid's bow; the bottom one was larger and more plush. 

Taehyung stared at them with concentration, he wanted to feel Jungkook's lips against his own. Though his lips were pretty, it would be the feel of them that would send his mind into a sensual state of intoxication. That's why Taehyung reached towards the brunette's face, touching Jungkook's lips lightly with his thumb before the urge to kiss them took over. 

Leaning in, Jungkook's eyes widened in shock when Taehyung pressed his lips softly against the younger's. 

It was slow and gentle, allowing Jungkook's eyes to fall closed as he melted into Taehyung's touch. The weirdest part was the moment a shiver was sent down their spines, the intoxicating smell of early morning dew and the taste of cherries giving a different vibe. 

With a smirk, Taehyung slowly pulled away, watching as Jungkook rose a hand to his face, grazing a finger along his lower lip. Taehyung chuckled, "You're perfect."

Rolling his eyes, Jungkook hit the male playfully on the shoulder, 

"Stop being so cringe."

---------------------------------

{Author Note}

You finally got what you've all been waiting for! Let the action chapters now begin!

(unedited)