Chapter 30: The Dark One's Freedom

Syvix glared at the figure of Galof lying on the ground. "I told you not to underestimate her! You only survived by the skin of your neck! Literally!"

Xaug only looked at him with a stone-faced expression.

"I'm sorry, Xaug," said Galof. "I'm useless to you for the next few months."

"That's all right, Galof. All will go according to plan."

"We can't leave them alone," urged Syvix. "At this rate she could—"

"Quiet," scolded Xaug, but it his tone was soft, as though settling an upset child. "I have this planned out."

Xaug removed the black crystal from his neck. He walked into the next room and placed the crystal on the ground in the center of a bunch of carvings. Syvix ran in next to him, looking utterly confused.

"You can't," begged Syvix. "He's too powerful!"

"I have it under control."

Xaug channeled his energy into the carvings as the black crystal broke and a whirlwind of black energy erupted forth. Once it cleared, a man made of dark energy stood before them. After a few seconds his skin turned from the smoky black to a faded purple.

"How long?" asked the man.

"The one thousandth anniversary of your imprisonment is just three seasons from now," said Xaug reverently.

"Hmm," said the man, mildly fascinated. He then noticed Syvix.

"Your energy," he said. "It feels like—"

"I used to be Lucifer's right hand," finished Syvix. "We have something in common. We've both been stabbed in the back by that bastard!"

"And my power has been restricted," noted the man.

"I assure you that I will lift the restriction if all goes to plan," assured Xaug. "I hear you like to keep your promises, correct?"

The man nodded.

"Then once your power is restored you can promise to stay out of my way. I brought you back; it's only fair."

"Deal."

"And what should I call you?" asked Xaug.

"You haven't earned the right to my name. Whatever you feel will suit me."

"Then I guess I'll use Arda's name for you, The Dark One."

The Dark One smiled. For the first time in almost a thousand years he was free, and he was going to make the most of it.

To be continued in:

Journey Through the Seasons:

Summer of Conflict