Chapter 26: Battle of Kred: Decision

The next morning after cleaning up camp they made their way to the town of Kred. Kred was significantly larger than Cresalda, but still nowhere near the size of the city of Atlantis. Its population was merely in the hundreds, whereas Atlantis was home to thousands.

"So, after we get the sword, where do we go next?" asked Jade.

"Can't we focus on a single task?" Talon complained bitterly.

"Oh don't be like that," scolded Serenity as she warmed her egg. "It's good to plan ahead. After all, we only have nine months until Jade faces off with Xaug."

"South," answered Gremdar. "After two of the crystals have been taken we need to check in with my brother at the volcanic ruins."

"Uncle Jenduri?" asked Jade. "I haven't seen him in a few years."

"Yes. We had people we trust guarding the crystals."

"I've always been on good terms with the Dragon-warrior and Elven races," explained Arda. "And Kendra has kept an eye on the Atlantian one while Jenduri watched over the volcanic one. We first need to check on the volcanic crystal; after that we head to Atlantis."

"Kendra said anyone entering the city who was banished would be executed on the spot," worried Saje. "It's too risky."

"We can't ignore the state of Atlantis any further," replied Arda. "Kendra said to go find our queen to protect the king. The Chosen One is essential to whatever her plan is to regain control of the city."

"We're here," announced Gremdar as the group halted behind him.

Jade looked past him to see a massive town that stretched for miles. As they descended into town to gather more supplies Jade took note of the prices for a pitiful looking supply of tomatoes.

"I told you," Flint whispered into her ear. "The earth has less energy and a famine is certain."

After they stocked up on supplies the group traveled toward the edge of town when they heard screams emerging from the border gates. People flooded past them in a panic. Many screamed "We're under attack!" Arda pulled Jade and the others into an empty alley.

"We need to leave now," she warned. "We cannot fight them off. We don't have time."

"She's right," agreed Hendok. "I can only sense Syvix and Galof, but Galof has an entire army with him."

"Our top priority is getting your sword," reminded Gremdar. "No one would fault you for running; we need to keep our priorities straight."

"Why are you phrasing it like that?" asked Jade.

"Because in the end this is your call," said Saje. "As the Chosen One we will start looking to you for leadership. This decision is yours."

Jade locked eyes with Flint. "What do you think?"

"I think you already know my answer."

Jade nodded. "We are done running! We ran from Cresalda and Fort Balstar, not here. These people can't defend themselves. It's up to us!"

Jade felt confident as she spoke these words, and for the first time since she fought Xaug, she could feel the earth beneath her.

"We will split into two groups," she continued. "I still need my sword before I can be of real use, especially with the solstice tomorrow. I will go to the mountain with Saje; you all stay here and protect the town."

"I'm coming too," said Flint. "I need to be there—to see it with my own eyes."

Jade left with Saje and Flint, leaving the others to prepare for battle.