Chapter 11: Teleport Ambush

They had set up camp around the rock containing Serenity. Talon held the egg in his hands with a look of pure happiness. "I'm going to be an uncle!" he said, voice filled with glee.

"This also means you are not the last of your kind," reminded Saje.

Arda nodded. "He's right. As a newfound Dragon-warrior, your sister will look to you for guidance with harnessing her power. You must be her mentor, teaching her the risks and rewards of the power that comes being a dragon-warrior."

"As long as she isn't a rainbow caliber dragon," said Saje somewhat jokingly. "Their power is great and some of it still unknown."

The rock next to them started to crack and green and blue smoke emerged from inside as Serenity climbed out. She appeared to be very weak as Arda and Gremdar helped her out and onto her feet. They walked her over to a stump to sit down and as she did so the moss grew slightly. A small layer of frost formed over the grass.

"Green and blue caliber," said Talon.

"How can you tell?" asked Jade.

"The smoke. The colors are an indication of her caliber. Green is enhanced speed, reaction time, hearing, and sight; making it invaluable to her skills as an archer. Blue is advanced elemental dragon power, specifically for ice and wind. Blue also has the power to influence growth in plant life along with healing. Combine that with a dragon's natural ability to transform, fly, perform magic, and breathe fire, adding in her archery skills and she will be a force to be reckoned with."

"What about you? What caliber are you?"

"Orange increases strength and endurance, while red makes my ability to breath fire five times stronger. While my sister is quicker and more skilled with different powers, my strength and power can far outweigh her." Jade could tell he disliked the idea of being more powerful.

"First things first," Arda interjected. "We need to get out of here. I'm surprised they haven't found us yet, but we can't stick around and make it easier for them. I will try to teleport us to the Elven city to the far east. We can seek refuge there from Belsy for a while. I also need to wrap up some loose ends with the Elves."

"Teleportation spells can be traced," warned Talon. "They will follow us to their city in a matter of minutes."

"Let them," challenged Arda with a sly smile. "The Elven city is a very powerful magical place. Even Xaug's protection of the prophecy is of no use there, at least for now. He knows better than to set foot on such sacred ground while his power is still in its weakest state."

Arda began carving a circle into the ground ten feet in diameter, filling it with strange symbols. Jade was amazed at how quickly her mom could do this while still paying attention to the small details. Once the circle was complete she stood in the center, gathering her energy.

"I need to focus my energy for a few minutes," she said. "It is important that no one makes contact with me. Anyone outside of this circle when my energy is fully gathered will be left behind."

"Well that's too bad," said a familiar voice Syvix as he walked into the clearing. The party turned to face Syvix, who grinned coldly and then continued. "I wanted to chat for a bit, Arda."

"Keep him back," commanded Arda. "We have one shot at this."

"Where's your master, Syvix?" asked Gremdar. "When you were arrested I never thought you'd become his lapdog. My, how the mighty have fallen!"

"I'm no fool," he retorted. "Xaug's power will overshadow any power I could ever hope for, and your daughter is the key to that."

A few shadow soldiers walked into the clearing followed by a giant rock being: A golem! Talon and Gremdar drew their swords. Saje threw himself at Syvix and began shooting spells at him. Jade saw the golem head straight for her mom and threw a rock at it to pull its attention. The golem charged at her and she punched it in the chest, her powerful impact leaving a crack across its chest. The golem fell to the ground weakened. Jade could tell that it was enough to keep it out of the fight- maybe even kill it. As she looked at the rock creature on the ground she felt sorry for it. It was mortally wounded and it was all her fault.

"Jade, behind you!" cried Serenity.

Jade turned around to see one of the shadow soldiers charging at her with a killing strike and she acted on instinct. She drew her sword from her sheath and shoved it straight into the soldier's chest. The man fell to the ground as the shadow that engulfed him disappeared. Jade was mortified by what she saw. It was her neighbor, Liase. The man whose wife made the best pie and whose daughter was the sweetest girl in the world now lay at her feet, dead by her hand.

"It's ready!" screamed Arda. "Back in the circle, I can't hold it for long!"

Gremdar and Talon ran up to Arda and the still-recovering Serenity.

"Where's Saje?" asked Gremdar.

Talon saw Saje lying unconscious outside the circle, just behind a sneering Syvix. Talon ran toward Saje but just as he was reaching the edge of the circle, everything around them disappeared and was replaced with an ancient looking forest. They had teleported and left Saje behind.