Chapter 25: What it Means to Defy Fate

As the days wore on the group made their way toward the town of Kred in the northwest part of Hegasha. The nearby mountain housed the sword Jade needed. The night before they reached the village Jade took notice of the setting sun.

"The solstice is the day after tomorrow," she observed.

"Yes," said Flint. "It's important we retrieve the sword before then."

"Why?"

"If you do turn out to be the Chosen One you need the sword to harness the energy of the earth guardian."

Jade thought about this. She hadn't even met the earth guardian. She also realized that he acknowledged the possibility of her being the Chosen One.

"I thought you said I wasn't the Chosen One," she prodded.

"You're not," said Flint firmly, "but I think you can change that."

Jade looked down and tried to figure out the hidden meaning to his words. She wasn't the Chosen One but she had the power to become the Chosen One? It was a riddle he was imploring her to solve.

"One last piece of advice," began Flint, "You know what Xaug saw in the Book of Destiny. That is fate, and you need to defy it."

"So then it's not my fate," corrected Jade.

"I never said that. I said you have to defy it. The key to defying fate is to first accept the fate you have. You need to accept the reality that you will die at the hands of Xaug on the Vernal Equinox. Once you accept this you can figure out a way to avoid it. There is a way—I know there is—and it's up to you to find it."

Jade looked up into the stony face of the golem to see a smile on his face. It was here that she realized what he'd been doing this whole time. He was preparing Jade for her destiny, one she had to defy. Flint knew more than he let on, and now, Jade thought she knew why.