Chapter 24: The Deal Between a Master and Apprentice

As the next few days passed, Jade continued her training with Saje. It was hard at first but over time she gradually improved. By the end of the next two weeks she had finally gotten Saje to yield during the match; she was able to land a solid punch while he was blocking her sword with a barrier.

"Very good!" he said. "You are learning fast. Even Xavier took years before he was able to best me."

Jade sheathed her weapon. Despite what he had done Saje still spoke fondly of his first pupil. She remembered what her father had said two months earlier "Saje is doing everything in his power to ensure that his pupil sees the error of his ways before it is too late." He must have been quite the student.

"I have a question," began Jade. "You speak so fondly of Xaug. Why is that?"

"The bond between a master and apprentice is a strong one," Saje sighed. "It is one that is mutually beneficial at its inception but grows into an unbreakable bond. The student looking to the teacher for guidance and education. The mentor looking to the student to pass on his experience in hopes for a better future for the next generation. All my hopes and dreams, the lessons I learned and the mistakes I made were passed onto Xavier to improve his life, or rather that was the plan. I must now learn from my mistakes so I can teach you better than I taught him."

"So what did it feel like when he betrayed you? Was there any indication it was coming?"

"I'm sorry," replied Saje. "I can't answer that right now. I understand it needs to be said and knowing the events surrounding our departure from Atlantis is something you need, but I can't do it. At least not now."

Jade saw a tear fall from Saje's eye. She was asking a lot of him...

"How about a deal?"

Saje looked at her with a curious expression. She also noticed Flint was looking over in their direction.

"I have been plagued with doubts that I am the Chosen One," continued Jade. "If I am, this story is only one of many that I need to know. So when I have fully accepted that I am the Chosen One and live up to what that requires, then and only then will I have the right to ask you about your past. On that day, however, you will answer all my questions. Deal?"

She held out her hand and Saje looked at it for a second. He smiled and grabbed her hand before vigorously shaking it.

"We have a deal," he agreed. As they shook she could swear she saw Flint smile, if only briefly.